Should I use wheel spacers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I use wheel spacers?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Should I use wheel spacers?

Should I spend $100 for wheel spacers to make my backspacing 4 or should I shell out an extra 300 to get the soft 8's? I'd rather keep the stock wheels because I think they would look better on an all white jeep...plus it would be 300 dollars less. But if my bearings are going to get screwed over, I'll have to sell my wheels and get the soft 8's. What do you guys think?

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you are going to run spacers ive been told dont go with the cheapest brand. I would not use them on my Jeep though.
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
Should I spend $100 for wheel spacers to make my backspacing 4 or should I shell out an extra 300 to get the soft 8's? I'd rather keep the stock wheels because I think they would look better on an all white jeep...plus it would be 300 dollars less. But if my bearings are going to get screwed over, I'll have to sell my wheels and get the soft 8's. What do you guys think?
Personally I like my stock rims better than soft 8's and use good quality billet wheel spacers, but it wouldn't cost you that much to get soft 8's (only $40 each). Using wheel spacers puts the exact same amount of stress on your wheel bearings and ball joints as rims with an equivalent backspacing (soft 8's). But it's one more hassle and potential problem if the nuts aren't torqued properly or you get lower quality spacers and have the potential for damage during hardcore wheeling. Most who use spacers & wheel have had no problems though.
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Soft 8's x5 $195
I need a new spare $135
Getting my tires put on the wheels $60
with shipping and taxes, its just over $400 for all that.

What would good quality spacers be? IRO sells Spidertrax aluminum spacers for $100

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Spidertrax is the best, but I think it's $100 per pair, so you're into probably $250 with tax & shipping. eBay sometimes has them for slightly less.

You can probably get soft 8's locally and save shipping though. Do you need a new spare regardless?
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Looks like i need to pay more attention. After all, there are only two spacers in the picture at IRO. looks like it will be worth it to get the soft 8's. I'm trying to get a picture of a white grand cherokee with black soft 8's to get an idea of what they will look like. I was thinking about blacking out my badges, but the paint might just get worn off while wheeling.

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

I'm sure you can find a white one with soft 8's in the lifted thread.

Here's NickkciN's white ZJ with soft 8's:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/members/144791-nickkcin/

Unread 03-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

I know mines not all white, but you get the idea.

I'm running 1.25" Spidertrax spacers with TJ Ravine wheels.

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

I like my OME wheels, so I just bought spidertraxx
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

OME makes wheels?
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
OME makes wheels?
They're kinda like the teddy bear wheels you see on Miatas and New Beetles, except with Emus instead.

horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
OME makes wheels?
Blast! Bah ha ha. Original.....Manufactured.....Equipment. yeah that's it! ha. O.E.M. There. It's probably because I've been fighting with the people at the OldManEmu.com website, my fingers have become conditioned.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up

Last edited by BlackShuck; 03-01-2009 at 08:23 PM..
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.