Should I replace the timing chain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I replace the timing chain?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Should I replace the timing chain?

96 4.0

I'm doing my water pump... Noticed a LOT of sludge on the outside of the timing cover. Took it off and cleaned it. A couple of questions...

1) Is the cam seal this little rubber seal INSIDE the cover?

2) I have 185K... Should I just replace the chain as long as it's already open?

3) If I do replace, there's no need for this "double roller" chain, right?

I've got a new chain, timing cover, gasket set and "tensioner" waiting in my RockAuto basket $96 delivered to the house... Should this be a go?
Say the word, and I'll press "CHECKOUT"

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Replace it with a double roller or don't bother. The stock chains stretch out quick. You'd find that a new OEM chain would be just as sloppy and loose as what you have now in no time. My dad just found this out the hard way: He had to replace the timing cover gasket on his new motor with only a few thousand on it, and the OEM replacement chain was UNBELIEVABLY sloppy.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

My OEM chain had 240000 miles when I replaced it and it was just a hair too loose. I would expect a stock replacement to last just as long. Remember that on the 4.0 the tensioner is in the cover so the chain always looks loose when you look at it.

I've seen some epic roller vs non-roller discussions on other boards but it's really a personal preference kind of thing. I put a double roller in mine just because it wasn't much more and they do tend to last a little longer.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Should I replace the gears as well?
congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Always replace them as a set, chain and two sprockets.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.