Should i replace the Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should i replace the Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Peterson66
1997 ZJ 

Should i replace the Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid?

Ok my jeep is a 1997 4.0L I6 with the 42RE transmission. When im driving around i can feel my jeep shifting kind of "hard" mostly coming off of a stop sign or light but i can feel it in later gears to. The jeep has 131k miles on it. I have had the oil and oil filter and air filter changed and am going to do a ignition tune up. but i have no idea when the last time the tranny fluid has been changed or the filter.... but i have read a few threads about some guys replacing the Gov. pressure sensor and solenoid and fixing the shifting problems.... so do you guys think i should do the same? Im planning on doing the fluid and filter while im down there obviously.

found a good price at: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...n_solenoids_se nsors_s/10538.htm

Got the link from a other member on here.

Any input would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Peterson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Your symptoms are not what the usual Gov sensor and pressure solenoid. Most of these components cause early shifts, 2nd or 3rd gear starts, and/or no downshifts. But as these parts are known to cause problems, I would say you cant really go wrong with replacing them, it could be considered "preventative"

It might be time to consider a simple trans fluid change, while you in the pan, you might check the rear band adjustment. The front band is adjustable externally its on the drivers side of case just above and forward of where the trans shift linkage goes into the trans. Also check/adjust the T/V cable too.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Peterson66
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Your symptoms are not what the usual Gov sensor and pressure solenoid. Most of these components cause early shifts, 2nd or 3rd gear starts, and/or no downshifts. But as these parts are known to cause problems, I would say you cant really go wrong with replacing them, it could be considered "preventative"

It might be time to consider a simple trans fluid change, while you in the pan, you might check the rear band adjustment. The front band is adjustable externally its on the drivers side of case just above and forward of where the trans shift linkage goes into the trans. Also check/adjust the T/V cable too.
How hard is it to adjust the Front/Rear Bands & the T/V cable? Are there any write up's on how to do it with pics/video by chance?
Unread 03-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I could do a write up, but it might be just as easy for you to search this forum for "band adjustment", there has been a lot of talk/write ups about it. T/V cable has been mentioned too.

band adjustment

If you feel you need to move or just check the adjustment, make sure you mark the cable first so you can at least go back to where it was. A lot of people prefer a cable thats a couple "clicks" tight, for slightly firmer shifts, and to hold gears a little longer before up shifting. Keep in mind T/V cable/pressure does not control the 3/4-4/3 shift.

Where the cable mounts to the bracket at the throttle linkage you will see a white plastic clip, carefully pry that clip up to allow the cable housing to move back and forth. I know some people have also adjusted/bent the bracket where the cable mounts on the trans too for adjustments.

Move the cable housing back (away from throttle body will increase T/V pressure or raise shift points, side affects can also create sensitive downshifts and harsh engagements and harsh upshifts.

Move the cable forward (toward throttle body) will lower T/V pressure or lower shift points, side affects can be early/quick upshifts, no or excessive throttle to make downshifts, slip/shuttle shifts, and slipping trans.

Most typical symtoms of a loose T/V cable would be quick up shifting through the gears, and possible slipping manily during shifts. Along with lack of downshifting under load.

Most typical symtoms of a too tight cable would be, late up shifting through the gears at light throttle, harsh engagements. Also may downshift easily with little throttle input.
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Peterson66
1997 ZJ 

Any more ideas on what could be causing the hard shifts? I already ordered the solenoid and sensor haha but all well i guess it might help....
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Peterson66
1997 ZJ 

Bump
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Trans diagnosis can get pretty complicated without the right equipment. Harsh shifts are usually a pressure related problem or worn components. Have you looked at the T/V cable adjustment? Do your shift points seem right? Will all gears shift harsh or is it just a couple? Does it have harsh engagements like from P/N to R or P/N to D?
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
newberrykc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking for an answer to my problem similar to this one as well. I DO have harsh engagements from P/N to R and or D. In the morning when I first take off, it will take approx 10 sec to shift from 2nd to 3rd. The engine revs up like it's in N til it actually shifts. Then it almost immediately shifts to 4th. I too will be ording the solenoid and sensor, and will be checking my TV cable today. Any other suggestions?

Don't mean or want to steal your thread Peterson, but I think we are having the same issues....
newberrykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

I just went through this, check for rear o2 sensor codes, if rear sensor is shot, it shorts out 5v supply to tranny...
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonty0523 View Post
I just went through this, check for rear o2 sensor codes, if rear sensor is shot, it shorts out 5v supply to tranny...
Are you sure? When I bought my Jeep, I was driving around with no rear o2 sensor at all. The driveshaft had ripped off the wiring harness. When I replaced the o2 sensor, the transmission didn't behave any differently.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.