JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Should I go back to my stock air box over the K&N (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/should-i-go-back-my-stock-air-box-over-k-n-1539086/)

Candymancan 06-20-2013 01:25 PM

Should I go back to my stock air box over the K&N

I dont really want to make this a K&N vs stock paper filter debate as i have read all the threads i can and seen everyoner opinions really but i was wondering..

Im thinking of cleaning my spectre filter as it looks pretty dirty even tho its only been like 7-8k miles since i last cleaned it.. not sure why its so full of sand and stuff so soon..

But anyway.... I looked in my throttlebody and (I did recently fix my intake plenum) and i noticed the bottom of the pan directly below has dirt particles and small debris laying on it.. Im not sure if its from the PCV blowby or from the spectre filter letting stuff go past the filter.. I like the way the spectre filter and my k&n fipk sound.. But i realize its just sound honestly.. Because i think i remember when i put it on it also lowerd my gas mileage slightly, i have read that happening to other people and no i never changed my driving habbits.

So im thinking maybe i should go back to my stock box ? It just kinda suckens me to see that small little thin pancake tube on my engine lol.. Do they sell paper cone filters i can use instead of my spectre oiled filter ? Or do the paper filters stop working right if they get wet.. because the way i have my setup right now my filter does get a tad wet because its basicly sitting in the open not coverd and getting air directly from the front grill..

What do you guys think ? I wish i took better care of my old box.. I cant find some of the clips to it or one of those rubber gromments lol.. Looks like its JY time..

ZJNewbi3 06-20-2013 01:29 PM

You could put in the stock box and do the Durango air hat swap. Theres a write up on this forum for it to. I'm probably going to do that once I find a decent junk yard around here.

Candymancan 06-20-2013 01:35 PM

I think Maybe I'll just put my stock box back on and see what my gas mileage does.. I sware it dropped when i first put it on many moons ago, and since i fixed my plenum and got a new o2 sensor in the Jeep and the mileage is wayy better now.. I wonder if going stock will help that.. Plus like i said i see dirt on my plenum plate and its only been 1700 miles since i fixed it.. so it seems like my filter isnt filtering everything it should..

Its just so hard to get rid of that awsome sound it makes lol

PolkaPower 06-20-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candymancan (Post 15586502)
I think Maybe I'll just put my stock box back on and see what my gas mileage does.. I sware it dropped when i first put it on many moons ago, and since i fixed my plenum and got a new o2 sensor in the Jeep and the mileage is wayy better now.. I wonder if going stock will help that.. Plus like i said i see dirt on my plenum plate and its only been 1700 miles since i fixed it.. so it seems like my filter isnt filtering everything it should..

Its just so hard to get rid of that awsome sound it makes lol

They make paper oil less cones. AEM makes one. I used to have a K&N on my 95. I was always finding a very fine layer of dust inside the tube.

riot1987 06-20-2013 02:18 PM

I was in a similar position. I had a home brew CAI and loved the sound. Here in CO it can get to be a dusty ***** and trails so I sold it and threw in my old paper filter. I swear they filter better. A beefier sound isnt worth it to me.

Candymancan 06-20-2013 06:07 PM

Yea I just put the stock one back on..

Jeeples 06-21-2013 09:19 AM

Why not go with a dry cotton filter? Several companies make them, AEM, AFE, Amsoil, etc. They're supposed to filter just as well as a paper filter, but offer the reusablility of the more traditional oiled filters.

HighLonesome 06-21-2013 11:03 AM

small debris? sounds like the FIPK is leaking at the TB flange.

JohnnyZJ 06-25-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLonesome (Post 15590142)

the K&N ones are bad for that because they are one piece.

garbage really....

vonericsen 06-25-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLonesome (Post 15590142)

This is the reason I removed mine.

Durango air hat works great for me....plus the whole installing a snorkel thing works better on the stock airbox. haha

AnotherRedZj 06-25-2013 08:44 PM

I've had a stock air box with a replacement (square) k&n filter that fits right in. Never had a prob with dirt or debris. I clean it when I need. Check it after dusty trail rides. Works great....never noticed any mileage increase or any thing, but filters air fine. Been yrs and Jus now do I need to get some more filter cleaner for it. Open element filters are bad news if your off road.

jeeepguy 06-25-2013 09:09 PM

Stock air box with a Green filter

just_urd 06-25-2013 09:50 PM

I should have stayed with the stock unit. I have an AEM set up with a dry cone filter. I like it, but I can't get the air hat to properly seat on to the throttle body...

riot1987 06-25-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeepguy (Post 15607887)
Stock air box with a Green filter

Happy with it?

jeeepguy 06-25-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riot1987 (Post 15608110)
Happy with it?

Have it in all three of my Jeeps. Has done very well at trapping dirt/particulates when out wheeling and is very easy to clean and re-use.

Haven't used anything else for the last 5 years. :tea:

The time now is 10:01 AM.