should I get a steering stabilizer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > should I get a steering stabilizer?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
gharris54
2000 WJ 

should I get a steering stabilizer?

I recently put the IRO 3'' kit and 265 bighorns on my wj with a little over 85,000 miles on it. It is perfectly aligned and there is no shakeing at any time. Since its lifted, bigger tires, should I be worried about death wobble in the future and would it be a good idea to get a new steering stabilizer? I know my stock shocks were trash when I got done with them but how do you know when the ss is worn out?

gharris54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

No reason to be worried about DW. I'd leave your SS and if you do run into DW fix accordingly.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

why spend money to fix a problem that doesnt exist?

you dont have death wobble so save your money ( a SS is just a bandaid to mask the bigger problem anyways)
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

A SS isn't just to keep your Jeep from getting DW. It also reduces bumpsteer. You will probably find that when offroad, you will have more bump steer than you did because of the bigger, heavier tires. If you are fine with how it is now though then don't waste your money. But a HD SS is a nice thing to have.
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

You should post a couple more pictures now that the new tires are on.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
jeepgc99lmtd
1955 CJ3A 

I am having the same problem. After getting my bigger tires put on I have A LOT more bumpsteer. Would getting a steering stabilizer fix this? If not what should I look for to try and diagnose the problem??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.