Should I buy a Grand Cherokee... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I buy a Grand Cherokee...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-23-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
toddvin

Should I buy a Grand Cherokee...

Hello all,

I am finally getting rid of my 89 cherokee ltd and am considering going with a Grand Cherokee between a 93 and a 96. Could anyone owning any one of these years give me some info on whether you have had any problems or not and if so, what were they....

I am basically looking for your advice as to which year to buy and I WILL blame you if it turns out bad... =)

Thanks alot.

TV

toddvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Stocker

Well of course you should buy a ZJ! Then you could check in here asking about warped front rotors, bad power windows, death wobble (you are going to lift it, right?), overheating, failed cv joints and bad viscous couplers! Don't worry though, we accept full responsibility for whatever POS you drag home!
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:55 AM   #3
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Dont forget the leaky window washer resevoir..

But thats about it...
I would suggest a v8 and look for the selecttrack transfer case..
(Same as XJ of the 242 (has 2wd,4ft, 4pt and 4lo) Good luck..
Unread 07-24-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
toddvin

You guys really know how to instill confidence in my purchasing decision......maybe i'll buy a Kia instead..LOL
toddvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2003, 01:39 AM   #5
Defenceman55

Hiya Dude,

If you decide to pick up a GC, stay away from the 93's. They're plagued with problems (not always, but a lot of potential problems) and there's a better selection of aftermarket goodies w/94 up.

Here's a list of the model year updates:

1993 -- All new model

1994 -- Grand Wagoneer dropped; new Orvis package; Limited gets 4-wheel disc brakes; side door beams added

1995 -- 4-wheel disc brakes standard on all models; 5.2L V8 gets modest torque increase; rear tailgate gets optional flip up glass hatch; 5-speed manual dropped

1996 -- Revised interior w/dual airbags; front fascia and body cladding restyled; part-time only Command-Trac dropped; 6cyl loses 5hp but adds refinements that make it a bit smoother and quieter

1997 -- New, improved ABS system; new steering column design; upgraded sound systems; new TSi model

1998 -- Last model year for this design; new 5.9 Limited model; Orvis designer package dropped

Personally, I'd go for a '97, but you specified up to a '96. Go for a '96!!
Unread 07-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #6
automan25

I've great luck with my '93. It's been very depentable. (I'm knocking on my laminated wood computer desk right now) I may have just gotten lucky though. The original owner took real good care of this vehicle. Usually I'd steer clear of the first model year for any new vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.