Short to or from ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Short to or from ignition switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Short to or from ignition switch

Some how I had the blue wire that goes to the ign switch short out and caused an electrical fire. Here is my problem now. It will not start unless I put the key to the run position and get under the car to start from the starter.

When it shorted it blew the red fuse on the power box under the hood. I replaced it with the one next to it from the AC for now. I also switched the relay for the starter with the one for the AC.

Now when the car is running and I turn the ignition to the crank position the starter solenoid does not try to engage. So is it possible that a wire leading to the relay is burnt also, or can it be the ignition switch shorted out. Everything works including the security system. I have juice on both sides of the red fuse under the hood. But I think even in off position I should have juice going to the relay on at least one of the blades. Should it not have power all the time till you energize the field to the pull down on the relay and then it sends current to the solenoid at the starter? I do not see any burnt wires leading to the power box under the hood from the ignition switch and I only had a small portion of the blue wire melt. I guess before the fuse blew under the hood.

I don't have a manual of that year jeep. My last jeep was a 88 Cherokee. This is a 95 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 V8. One other thing can It be a wire to the neutral safety switch or is that a separate circuit. I will get a book tomorrow but you know I'm going to be up all night figuring this out.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

OK This is what I figure..Im most likely talking to myself but I ran a jumper from the 40amp Ign 1 fuse to the #30 blade on the starter relay with the relay installed in the power block. I was able to start the car normally. So I D/C the batt cable from the power box and pulled it upside down. Nothing burnt and I followed the Blue/red stripe wire which leads to the one that fried a little under the dash. That one goes into the ign switch. Which would tend to make me think the ign switch fried on that circuit. I guess that wire gives power to the #30 circuit of the relay. Then when you turn the ign switch the pull down gets energized from another circuit related to the ign switch, and current flows across the points on the relay to the starter solenoid. Wish I had a schematic so I can follow it. Guess Ill start checking voltage to the ign switch and see whats up tomorrow.
Any thoughts would be appreciated been awhile since I messed with the electrical circuit of a Jeep.

I went to pepboys to get the fuse and git the last haynes manual. So looks like the ign switch. I'm going to check between 1&7 connector at the switch. That's what controls power to the starter relay. Hope that's what the problem is.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face

Last edited by edpmedic; 12-09-2011 at 10:00 PM..
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.