Shocks are blowing out... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shocks are blowing out...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Shocks are blowing out...

I own RE twin tube shocks made for a 2" lift. They came with the kit, figured they would last me until I got more money BUT that didn't happen. The front left blew out in a week, front right just blew out today. I think these city streets are hitting the crappy shocks hard.

I don't really have the money for expensize shocks (bilstein) and don't wanna buy junky ones again. I was looking at these:

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...oduct_Code=DT-
D8000&Category_Code=PFZ

Come with a life time warranty and I heard IRO runs them on their vehicles. Would these hold up to junky city streets? (Cracks and shallow potholes or high bumps) Also I can only afford to replace the front shocks right now, the rear REs have held up so hopefully they will last until the Summer...

Thanks!

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I've never heard one bad comment about IRO products, but I've never heard much about their shocks.

Contact Kolak (vendor on here) for good deals and extensive product knowledge.

I know all about junk city streets. The Bilsteins I finally gave in and bought help tremendously with them.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Have you contacted RE and told them what happened?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

your link is broken there but I'm guessing you are talking about doetsch, I am running their 8000 series and I love em and at 45 bucks a pop, I'd buy them again.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Have you contacted RE and told them what happened?
Yeah but this is the second shock that blew out. They are $28 budget shocks and if they can't hold up than I just need better ones.

The link is to the doetsch prerunner 8000s $95/pair
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Yeah but this is the second shock that blew out. They are $28 budget shocks and if they can't hold up than I just need better ones.

The link is to the doetsch prerunner 8000s $95/pair
oh ok, they feel a bit "stiff" on the road but when you are in the dirt/ rocks they are awesome. mines my DD so it gets more road miles then dirt.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ View Post
oh ok, they feel a bit "stiff" on the road but when you are in the dirt/ rocks they are awesome. mines my DD so it gets more road miles then dirt.
As long as they can withstand these streets...I only go wheeling maybe 5x a year.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

i'm sure they will and they offer a lifetime warranty on em versus a year or 2 with bilstein
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

DT's are good shocks for the money. They are on the stiff side but with a larger tire like 33's they are fine. I liked them because they were cheap and decent.

I also remember that I had some Edelbrock IAS shocks that were much nicer than the DT's too. Forgot how much they were though.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
DT's are good shocks for the money. They are on the stiff side but with a larger tire like 33's they are fine. I liked them because they were cheap and decent.

I also remember that I had some Edelbrock IAS shocks that were much nicer than the DT's too. Forgot how much they were though.

I think I paid about 280 for 4 Edelbrock shocks back in 03
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

I think I'm going to go with the DTs then...This sucks, these front shocks are a pain to install in warm weather let alone 20degree weather. This is going to be fun. Those damn tubes wont let you tighten the nut they just keep spinning and spinning and spinning.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I think I'm going to go with the DTs then...This sucks, these front shocks are a pain to install in warm weather let alone 20degree weather. This is going to be fun. Those damn tubes wont let you tighten the nut they just keep spinning and spinning and spinning.
It's pretty easy. Box wrench on the nut, allen wrench on the stud. If you have that size allen for a drill I would imagine it's pretty fast. You just have to wiggle the wrench in there. It's quicker for me to unbolt the shocks from the top than the bottom.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
It's pretty easy. Box wrench on the nut, allen wrench on the stud. If you have that size allen for a drill I would imagine it's pretty fast. You just have to wiggle the wrench in there. It's quicker for me to unbolt the shocks from the top than the bottom.
Where is there a place to insert an allen wrench on the stud? mine is a solid flat top.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Where is there a place to insert an allen wrench on the stud? mine is a solid flat top.
Really? All the shocks I can remember putting in had an allen wrench stud with a nut threaded on. You are going to have to get another really small open end wrench to slip on the stud then. It should have flat spots on it.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Really? All the shocks I can remember putting in had an allen wrench stud with a nut threaded on. You are going to have to get another really small open end wrench to slip on the stud then. It should have flat spots on it.
Yeah it has flat spots if I can remember...So I just put an open end on the flats to keep the tube from spinning while I turn off the nut? Sounds easy enough...Still will be hard on that drivers side! Wonder if there's a good ratcheting box wrench I can use on that nut? Guess that means a trip to sears!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.