Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shocks

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
shawn_in_pdx
1996 ZJ 

Shocks

Do I need to take the tires off in order to replace the front and rear shocks in my 1996 JGC? Recommend a good brand of replacement shocks? I'm considering Bilstein brand.

shawn_in_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
RickyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Front might be kind of tight to get them off, but do-able. I've replaced the rear w/o taking the tires off.
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

i mean if you don't want to you could leave the wheels, on but its a hell of allot easier with them off.
and is your jeep stock?

also do you have a grand cherokee? or the regular cherokee? because a grand is a ZJ not an XJ
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
jimebeans
1998 ZJ 

i was able to do all 4 of mine on my 98 GC stock height with it on the ground and nothing but the shocks were taken off, in about 2-3 hours. but i like to take my time, and the nut under the brake lines on the front drivers side needed a stubby wrench and was hard to get too, or it wouldve gone much faster.
jimebeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have not tried to do it without taking the wheels off but the back ones are much easier than the front ones. The way the front shocks mount at the top is very tight.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
shawn_in_pdx
1996 ZJ 

Thank you everyone! And yes..my Jeep Grand Cherokee is a ZJ...not an XJ.
shawn_in_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
tcar
2000 WJ 

Under your name it says XJ, in your post it says ZJ... that's where the question came from.

I've done all 4 on my 94 with wheels (and tires) on the Jeep. Takes longer doing the shocks alone, but if you count jacking and de-wheeling, it is definitley quite a bit quicker.

You'll be doing the lowers laying on the ground instead of sitting on the ground though with wheels on.

Tops of the front shocks are hard to get to, but that is the same wheels on or off.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bilstein , jeep , shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.