shock question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > shock question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

shock question

I just need some input and suggestions on the best set of shocks, that wont break my wallet, to use on my 98 zj with 6.5 lift and 33s. Thanks.

Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you have a a 6.5" lift. Be prepared to drop some bills.

I like my Rubicon express twin tubes.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

6.5" extended shocks and "not break my wallet" are not a good combination.

Bilsteins if you want the best.
Rubicon Express are high quality.
ProComps are high quality.
Black Diamonds seem to have good reviews around here.
DT's are another great one too.

Anything monotube will give you the best performance.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
6.5" extended shocks and "not break my wallet" are not a good combination.

Bilsteins if you want the best.
Rubicon Express are high quality.
ProComps are high quality.
Black Diamonds seem to have good reviews around here.
DT's are another great one too.

Anything monotube will give you the best performance.
monotubes are just more expensive. I know i'm going to upgrade my BB kit to a 3.5 or 4.5 so i didn't spring for the monotubes as they were an extra 100 bucks. But yea blisteins are no question the best
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
monotubes are just more expensive. I know i'm going to upgrade my BB kit to a 3.5 or 4.5 so i didn't spring for the monotubes as they were an extra 100 bucks. But yea blisteins are no question the best
Bilsteins are monotubes.

I'm doing the exact same thing. Going from my 1.75" BB to a 3.5 IRO lift with 33s after my wedding in August. Can't wait.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bilsteins are monotubes.

I'm doing the exact same thing. Going from my 1.75" BB to a 3.5 IRO lift with 33s after my wedding in August. Can't wait.
I kinda custom pieced together my 2.25" bb (most RE parts) so will probably get their 3.5" or 4.5" springs and all I'd need is CA's and everything else is ready to go (track bars are adjustable the right length for up to 5" hehe saved myself some money planning ahead).
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I replaced all 8 of my arms with OEM ones about a year ago so I'm going to run my 3.5" on stock arms and see how it is. I know it won't be a stock ride anymore but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on adjustable arms just for a slightly smoother ride on the road. I think some higher end shocks will help that.

I already got 0-6" track bars also.

All I'm going to need is shocks and sway bar links once I get the springs. Can't wait.

Never had 33s before, both my ZJs were on 31s so that will be cool.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I replaced all 8 of my arms with OEM ones about a year ago so I'm going to run my 3.5" on stock arms and see how it is. I know it won't be a stock ride anymore but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on adjustable arms just for a slightly smoother ride on the road. I think some higher end shocks will help that.

I already got 0-6" track bars also.

All I'm going to need is shocks and sway bar links once I get the springs. Can't wait.

Never had 33s before, both my ZJs were on 31s so that will be cool.
i kinda wish I would have gone with 33's instead of 31's. But need some time and money to beef up the axles for 35's I want to go with new LCA's for the 4.5" since new all around is required (IIRC). Then if i go to 5.5" up 35's I go for sure) But getting that 8.8 in the rear is step 1 above all this.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Yeah there's too much fabricating that needs done to run 35s. And I can't justify them anyway. I go through some crazy stuff with my current setup. With 2 more inches of lift and 33s I can go just about anywhere I will want to. Plus I drive on the expressway a few times a month and with 35s I wouldn't want to. I have a winch and heavy toolbox so at 3.5" my stock arms will suffice.

I'm running stock axles/D35/3.55 and going to 33s. I'm just going to be a little easier on them on the trails.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yea, i'm on 31's with 3.73's feels a little slow sometimes. On 33'd I'd really want to stay out off the skinny pedal. The 8.8 is for fun of building and I'm an over builder lol
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'd contat Kolak from my sig about shocks.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.