Shimmy when jeep shifts gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shimmy when jeep shifts gears

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
moldeck

Shimmy when jeep shifts gears

My 96 has an auto trans, it has a slight shimmy when it shifts between gears. If I manually shift, getting on it some, it does not seem to shimmy. Is there anything I can do to get extra life out of the trans? Or do I just wait for it to happen?

moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

How is the fluid doing? What engine?

Last time it was serviced? Try doing the tv cable adjustment, that can help significantly. May need band adjustment.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
moldeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
How is the fluid doing? What engine?

Last time it was serviced? Try doing the tv cable adjustment, that can help significantly. May need band adjustment.
Very good questions!! Jeep is new to me. Fluid is so-so, 5.2L engine. No Idea on when serviced if at all. I will search on the tv cable, I have no idea what that is . It does shift early even when getting on it.
Would you suggest a filter and fluid change to start with?
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Check if thew fluid smells burnt or is dark reddish. Do the tv adjustment, or have it done. If that doesn't give you better results have somebody drop the pan and have a look.

Is it all gears? Only 1 - 2 or 2 - 3? How are the down shifts?

If it isn't shifting more agressively when you floor it then definitely do the tv cable.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
moldeck

I will check the fluid tonight. It is in both 1-2 and 2-3 for sure, down shift is good. Kicking it down for passing is a little tough to get it to kick down, and still does not stay long. Thanks for the help. I will check these things and give an update.
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
moldeck

fluid smells OK, Not supper red but ok. level is good. Will look at the TV cable next.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.