Shifting hard into 2nd, and shifts out quickly (96 4.0L 42RE) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shifting hard into 2nd, and shifts out quickly (96 4.0L 42RE)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Shifting hard into 2nd, and shifts out quickly (96 4.0L 42RE)

So my 1996 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L 42RE has been shifting hard into second gear since I've owned it, but only right when I turn on the Jeep after it's been sitting for awhile. After warming up (presumably), it shifts smoothly and pleasantly. When I say shifting hard, it moves out of first, hovers in between for just a little bit too long, and then drops into second abruptly. Any ideas?

I've put in new fluid and filter about 2 months ago (1000 miles). I reset the rear band, but haven't got around to the front band because of a surgery, not to mention I'm not sure how I can get my torque wrench up in there without dropping the crossmember, which I'm not eager to do after the hellish experience I had when replacing the viscous coupler. I stripped 2 nutserts, and then magically the frame changed shape and I could only get 3 bolts in, since then I've got the fourth in, but like I said I'm not eager to relive that experience.

I've also been reluctant to adjust the kickdown because I am happy with the shifting in all other gears.

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

My 93 did that for a bit. I adjusted the kickdown and it was better. I checked my fluid and it was half a quart low. Added that half quart and it shifts perfectly.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Any chance you know of a link for the kickdown adjustment? I can't find one and I'm not eager to go screwing around with it.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to access the front band adjustment screw/nut? I've got the 42RE trans, and I can't fit my tools up in there to get it done.

EDIT: I did adjust the rear band when I did the trans fluid a thousand miles ago.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Ok, I've found the videos of the TV cable adjustment. I'll do that soon.

I checked my fluid in neutral, with trans warmed up, after cycling through the gears, looks great, right in the center of the crosshatched region.

I'm going to drop the trans soon so I can take care of the front band and see if that helps.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the front band adjustment is easier with a smaller torque wrench and the right length extensions. Seems like i had to do a lot of reaching in along the length of the transmission to get around everything and also took some linkages loose. nothing to be trying if you're gimped up.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Yeah I'll see what I can do with the band adjustment. I'd really like to do it then adjust my TV cable, and I've been unwilling to do both so maybe that'll happen today.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.