Shifter Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shifter Problems

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Shifter Problems

Another question for you guys, my shifter has been giving me issues, first of, when in park, the shifter seems no not go far enough forward to allow the engine to start, and it won't go far enough back to be in 'drive' I have to push the button and move it back past where it's stopping it. So what's up with this? Would the cable that runs from the shifter down to the linkage on the trans be stretched out? Or would it be an issue with the linkage itself, everything appears to be ok up be the shifter. Thanks for the help!

Sent from something using JeepForum

image-2222647641.jpg

thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
ieattacos
1993 ZJ 

I have the same problem with the start issue....pretty sure its a adjustment issue? But to be honest learned to live with it hehe
ieattacos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Mine always starts in park but you have to feel the notches in the trans to make sure it's in gear. On mine it's the end of the cable on the trans. It's worn out and loose. In fact the only thing that keeps it on the shift arm is the trans hose above it is so close. Dealer wants $90 for one so I'll replace it one day but not today.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Well I adjusted the cable to see if that would solve the issue, now the issue I had trying to start it up and the shifter not being far enough forward has been resolved, now I have to move the shifter back into '2nd' to be in 'drive' so I assume the cable is stretched. But that's a job for another day hah.

Unread 11-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
shaban
1996 ZJ 

You can adjust the trannsy shifter linkage down at the tranny.

Search for "cable adjustment" on the forum, here's one link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...tment-1439633/
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban
You can adjust the trannsy shifter linkage down at the tranny. Search for "cable adjustment" on the forum, here's one link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...tment-1439633/
ya I did that, fixed the park issue, but the cable is stretched so I have to move the shifter to 2nd for it to actually be in drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.