shifter adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > shifter adjustment

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

shifter adjustment

So for the longest time now my shifter has not been adjusted properly. Not only does it not have the orange marker line up in the slot for each gear, but also after coming out of park i have to gently push it forward for reverse. Has anyone adjusted theirs before? The picture below shows the cables in front of the shifter. I tried spinning these areas with a flat blade screwdriver to adjust them to no avail.

ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Pop the shifter off the lever on the trans, push the trans side lever all the way forward. Adjust the cable at the bracket til it pops back on without moving the lever.
Iirc there is a retaining clip on the cable that needs to be popped up before you can adjust it.

You can't adjust from inside the vehicle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
MarkInTombstone
1993 ZJ 

These were recalled on our Jeeps. Check if you apply. If so. Freebee!
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInTombstone View Post
These were recalled on our Jeeps. Check if you apply. If so. Freebee!
Is this the recall that updates to the newer design with padding so the tranny sound doesn't transmit into the cabin?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

If it's close, I just cycle the shifter button in/out and adjust the tranny cable detent to be in the center of the shifter detent. If the shifter detent puts pressure on the cable, then it's not centered.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

I could have swore it was a recall as well. The last time I entered my vin on one of the sites people post here it said there were no outstanding recalls. Above my radiator it says it was built to Canada specs though, not sure what that means in terms of u.s. recalls. Anyways thanks for the help guys.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Recall BO2 I think involved the shifter detent mechanism not going fully into park firmly. If you didn't make sure it was in park it could pop out. I found the chrysler kit Part # awhile back but dang if I can find it now. I have to bump mine alittle forward to get the key out but it hasn't annoyed me enough to fix it.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I just looked at my build sheet and there is/was a recall on the Shifter Detent, the recall number is B02.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

So unfortunately I never got around to this fix until now and it still annoys me. Anyways I took a look at it today and can someone tell me what I am missing? It will only start in park or neutral but the marker is not aligned in the spot on the shifter. Also to get my reverse lights on after I shift into “reverse” I have to push forward toward park to get the backup lights to engage. Today I took a look at the cable and when it is in “park” the shaft moves a tiny bit, but not much. I guess the part of this procedure im confused about is actually doing the adjusting. The instructions basically say to take the cable off at the mounting bracket and cable eyelet, verify it is in park then put it back on? Is the actual adjuster the clamp looking part you have to squeeze together as you pull it off the bracket? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
If it's close, I just cycle the shifter button in/out and adjust the tranny cable detent to be in the center of the shifter detent. If the shifter detent puts pressure on the cable, then it's not centered.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.