Share your ZJ longevity tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Share your ZJ longevity tips

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 11-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

Share your ZJ longevity tips

'95 ZJ Laredo 5.2L 4WD - mostly stock - 225K miles

Looking for any of your ideas to keep my Jeep going for many more miles without facing any major problems. I am no longer taking it off road or towing - just running errands on the streets daily

I have generally kept up with oil and fluid changes and for about 150K miles had the dealer do the 30.000 mile servicing.

I have had my share of the minor ZJ glitches, but few biggies. Maybe 2 A/C compressors replaced in 17 years and 3 water pumps.

Other than keeping up with the oil and fluids and such, what else should I be doing or watching out for?

Thanks for any advice

kirkham715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Idahozj23
1996 ZJ 

I just bought one a few months ago that had 208k so I'm not sure what has been done to it as far a previous maint. But so far I have done the Vic fix where you re solder the joints, the headlight switch solder fix, changed fluids in the diffs and t case, got rid of a rusted out muffler and plugged cat, changed out a leaky radiator, planning a cheap short arm lift soon(to use as an excuse for "replacing bushings and rusty control arms", but currently I am concerned with oil pressure. When it is cold it is 40-50+, which is fine, and then 20ish when warm, which is borderline for my taste, and a few times when coming to an abrupt stop my gauge has fallen far enough for the "check gauges" light to beep for a second. After looking up info all day on sensor issues and oil pump issues mine falls into the category of worn main bearings and will be on the verge of a replace/rebuild so that sucks. But my next oil change I am gonna do 10-30 and Lucas oil to try and nurse it as long as I can. So anyway the purpose to my rambling is that after all the little things get checked/replaced check and see how your oil pressure is acting, some people still have 30+ pressure when warm and have a ton of miles. So if yours stays up that's a good sign of many more miles to be put on, but if it starts to act like mine maybe you can do the oil additives and higher visc oil to prevent it from wearing even quicker
Idahozj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Drive like a grandpa 6 days a week and blow it out on the 7th.

Like most of us....I'm sure you "hear or feel" when something has changed a bit. When you do....identity what it is and cure it before it gets worse. Example: Tonight I made a little 200 mile trip ( 100 each way) on the interstate. On the way back, I had a tiny office sized refrigerator in the cargo area...which meant that I couldnt pull the cargo cover over it.
On the Interstate, doing about 70, I hear a little more road noise coming from the rear of the Jeep than usual. Immediately, I'm asking myself when I last changed the rear end lubricant....and figure it's time to take a look at it. Then I remembered the cargo cover not being over the cargo area....which is letting a little more road/tire noise through for me to hear. I still dont like it, so I'll be pulling the diff. cover soon and taking a hard look, as well as inspecting the rear brakes, wheel bearings ( as best I can) etc. I'd rather find out now, if something is going bad. Probably no need to do it....but I will....just in case.

I lube everything that needs it. Door hinges, hood latch and hinges, zerk fittings...you name it.

I dont dog my Jeep. I always STOP before I switch gears from reverse to drive and vice versa. (Easier on the tranny and the entire drive train) I know my tranny is old so I rarely get on the throttle hard in first gear. I'm almost anal about fluids...especially oil and coolant. Only one oil has been in that Jeep since the first week I drove it off the lot ( new). I changed it the first week to Castrol GTX and havent looked back. ( using high mileage now). She's getting old...but like Christy Brinkley, she's far from being done. But also like Christy, she's expensive to maintain. ( not that I have any first hand experience with Ms Brinkley...although I wish I could say so and it be true...chuckle..)

I suppose I "baby" her most of the time....so when it's time for her to step up and "do Jeep things"....she's ready and able.

One more thing. I dont allow my lady friends to drive her.
Ever. ( no dents, either).
245K on the clock.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahozj23 View Post
I just bought one a few months ago that had 208k so I'm not sure what has been done to it as far a previous maint. But so far I have done the Vic fix where you re solder the joints, the headlight switch solder fix, changed fluids in the diffs and t case, got rid of a rusted out muffler and plugged cat, changed out a leaky radiator, planning a cheap short arm lift soon(to use as an excuse for "replacing bushings and rusty control arms", but currently I am concerned with oil pressure. When it is cold it is 40-50+, which is fine, and then 20ish when warm, which is borderline for my taste, and a few times when coming to an abrupt stop my gauge has fallen far enough for the "check gauges" light to beep for a second. After looking up info all day on sensor issues and oil pump issues mine falls into the category of worn main bearings and will be on the verge of a replace/rebuild so that sucks. But my next oil change I am gonna do 10-30 and Lucas oil to try and nurse it as long as I can. So anyway the purpose to my rambling is that after all the little things get checked/replaced check and see how your oil pressure is acting, some people still have 30+ pressure when warm and have a ton of miles. So if yours stays up that's a good sign of many more miles to be put on, but if it starts to act like mine maybe you can do the oil additives and higher visc oil to prevent it from wearing even quicker

I guess I should feel lucky that I have not had that problem with low oil pressure - maybe a couple of isolated incidents when oil level leaked low and I was unaware of it. Usually, oil pressure is very constant for me in the 40-50 range.
I have kept up with an oil change every 3-5,000 miles and almost always with a good quality 10-30W and frequent additives (STP and Lucas stabilizer). I have had many years of oil leaks or burning requiring adding up to a quart a month, but not as much lately. Currently I am running the Quaker State Defy High Mileage 10-30W in warm weather Los Angeles

I admire all the fixes you have done and wish I had the energy to do half of them. ZJ's I have known do burn and leak oil and the level needs monitoring and seals repaired as needed. I have never had any success with the oil stop leak products. I do notice a little oil going through the PCV valve and probably vacuumed into the plenum, but not enough to do any damage I hope.
However, your problems seems deeper than just that - hope that can be overcome soon
Unread 11-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

To Oldfrog _ hear and understand your sensitivity to the moods of the Jeep. I do not think it is paranoia, but I am so clued into any new sound or vibration, Especially the idle and am constantly looking at the gauges. I am thinking it is a positive trait of constant vigilance
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I try to be proactive, because of the age,both the jeeps and mine. The jeep gets better care than I do though. Maybe they make DRB3 program for health monitoring. It just about ALWAYS works out that when I am set to do one thing as far as a certain group of repairs the jeep says "OH NO", and whisks me away in another direction. It has taken a goodly amount of sweat equity and cash to stay ahead of it if you can call it that. Certainly, one of the very first things I would do in your case is go through any electrical connection as well as ground points and clean them up a bit if needed. As a guess estimate about half if not more of all posted problems in this forum are electrically related. Learn all you can about your years electrical system BEFORE you start having problems.

Get your hands on a factory service manual and read it. Search electrically related problems for the 95 here and read the replies. The 95's were OBD1 and some say less complicated electrically, but they had more "modules" to perform certain functions that were later grouped into the BCM to save wire { at least thats what chrysler said}. Good luck!
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree, with what others have said and changing out the fluids frequently will add to the longevity. While some additives may help/not cause problems don't ever use stop-leak products in your engine, trans or cooling system. Real good point by coralman that bad grounds will lead to many electrical problems.

Keep it tuned up with good/new Champion copper plugs, plug/coil wires (Denso works well), brass contact distributor cap & rotor.

Luckily in being in LA you won't have the problems where salt/rust is your enemy like many of us have. But the heat of LA is your enemy for the engine/trans, especially when sitting in traffic. Make sure your cooling system is in good working order and the fan clutch is working properly. Do you have the tow package with an external trans cooler? If not believe I'd be installing an external trans oil cooler like the one below. Well worth the $60 and heat is the major cause of transmission failure in normal driving conditions. Good luck and hope it runs forever!

http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...M+super+cooler

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Basic maintenance goes a long way. I used to be paranoid of clunks and vibrations and pops. But now that its lifted Ive learned to ignore them until they become too loud to hear the stereo. Common sense in how you drive also goes a long way as well, ie) dont drive it like a race car -cause its not. My brother in law would drive the piss out outta his grand. Always wrapping it up way high and what not. Felt bad for the Jeep. It sits now because it wont run..

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
BoostinBubba
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahozj23 View Post

I know everyone thinks Lucas prducts work miracles, but I would skip it for low oil presssure. The stuff is full of PTFE (teflon) particles ans will just stop up the oil filter and further reduce your flow.
BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Uni, did the cooler get installed with the fittings up or down? Just wondering, cause when my trans goes I will install one probaly with the jet engine sounding clutch.
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Coralman, the lines/fittings are on top and they don't recommend any other type of install. I installed that B&M Supercooler on my son's 96 4.0 XJ and I already have the external trans oil cooler w/my tow package.

LOL, on the jet engine sounding fan clutch. Since you're in Florida I'd just go with one of these.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham715 View Post
To Oldfrog _ hear and understand your sensitivity to the moods of the Jeep. I do not think it is paranoia, but I am so clued into any new sound or vibration, Especially the idle and am constantly looking at the gauges. I am thinking it is a positive trait of constant vigilance
I hear you. It probably comes from my Yamaha racing days. I was the master of what we called the "professional dismount" and have the scars to remind me. My brother ( a much better racer) owned a Yamaha bike dealership when I was young and learned early on to investigate anything that feels "different" on my bikes. It's much healthier than losing a swing arm bolt while running 80+ mph. ( yes, I had that happen on a 250 Ossa Stiletto during practice before a race. Not fun. But I wish I still had that Ossa....it would be worth a small fortune today.)

Sounds and vibrations mean something. Safety wire is your friend.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Money

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetammon View Post
money

sent from something using jeepforum
x2
Muzramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.