Shaking in the front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shaking in the front

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

Shaking in the front

When I accelorate or brake sometimes the whole front end will start shaking badly. But it will stop if I slow way down then coutinue driving it will be fine for a while. Any help will be great.

~Slayer~

slayercr23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercr23
When I accelorate or brake sometimes the whole front end will start shaking badly. But it will stop if I slow way down then coutinue driving it will be fine for a while. Any help will be great.

~Slayer~
Search death wobble. Theres 1.2 million threads on it.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

had death wobble in mine the whole life of the car.. finally swapped zj's and the other was great, had so many other problems.

How to know if its DW (death wobble) is it scares you to death!

Check ball joints, steering damper for starters. Like midnight says search the zj forum for Death Wobble. I hope you get it on the first shot.
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
lakotaed
1994 ZJ 

Death to Death wobble!

I replaced my shock absorbers and then got the death wobble, go figure. I then replaced my tires, next all the bushings for the front sway bar. This seemed to really give my steering wheel such a nice and firm feel that greatly improved traction somehow. I went about 2 or 3 weeks without one wobble incident and it came back abruptly. I then replaced the steering damper (looks like a shock too) and still it wobbled. Finally, I took my smartphone video camera and laid it under each joint in the front end and turned my steering from one side to the other. The tracking bar ball joint was clearly bad, but I got under the Jeep and really got crazy trying to shake each joint and they all seemed firm. The ball joint is just below the power steering pump and has a grease fitting. My video showed that the arm from the steering pump assy. started to move, then the tracking arm moved after about a half inch of travel. My Jeep really feels like new, after all the other parts I really enjoy driving it again. Every part I mentioned were especially easy to replace. I must point out that I had to use a puller to get the damper off, any other way failed and I busted a few knuckles too.

In a nutshell, my problem was the tracking bar ball joint. You have to buy the whole bar ($67) to fix it, but it is so easy to do and of course the place I looked. Personally, I am glad I replaced the other parts, it really drives well now.
lakotaed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check the track bar mounts for tightness. If they are tight, I'd go ahead and swap out the track bar AND the steering damper. It's cheap fix, for starters...but there's no guarantee this will fix it. The odds are in your favor, though.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

Track bar was the first thing in my ZJ to be fixed along with the steering damper. Like old frog says, no guarantee. I still had it for life DW is a crazy thing. Glad to hear your loving the drive again, they get so sloppy with age and they are such a wonderful truck.
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
lakotaed
1994 ZJ 

Wobbles Wiggle but they won't fall down

I have a 94 ZJ and the only change I ever made was to put 235 tires on it. That was back in '02, but the wobble didn't start until around 190k and I finally fixed it. I am at 198k now. I assume that many of the wobble issues typically occur in vehicles with lifts or similar type of alterations that lack stability, or in older daily drivers like mine. Just a guess though. I am back to highway speeds again.
lakotaed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercr23 View Post

~Slayer~
Give this a read:
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

Well i replaced the steering stabilizer and that helped alot. But i can still feel it wobbling a little. Their are 3 rods under their that are all connected and i can grab one and move the whole setup. Dont know what the rods are or if where their connected together they could/should be replaced.
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
melk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercr23
Well i replaced the steering stabilizer and that helped alot. But i can still feel it wobbling a little. Their are 3 rods under their that are all connected and i can grab one and move the whole setup. Dont know what the rods are or if where their connected together they could/should be replaced.
That's your tie rod, drag link and track bar.

There's a good pic floating around highlighting each one. I can post it when I get home from work if no one beats me to it.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

I've found this handy. Thanks to however originally posted it.
front_suspension.jpg  

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

Ok now that I know what it is. Your not supose to be able to grab on to and shake them are you?
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayercr23 View Post
Ok now that I know what it is. Your not supose to be able to grab on to and shake them are you?
errrrrrr, nope!
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

So... The... joints? need to be replaced? Would they be the refered to as tie rod ends?
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
slayercr23
1996 ZJ 

anybodie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.