Setting VIC clock without OEM headunit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Setting VIC clock without OEM headunit

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Setting VIC clock without OEM headunit

I was just thinking ahead, is it possible to set the minutes on the VIC without having the Chrysler radio installed? If I replaced the headunit I'd lose that connection to the CCD bus and I'm pretty sure that's the only way to set the minutes.

I'd rather not lose the VIC, I like having it.

EDIT: I guess I could disconnect the battery and reconnect it right when the hour changes. Nevermind, figured it out myself!

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Huh? Chrysler radio and the VIC aren't talking between each other.. you set the VIC time from VIC, radio is set from head unit..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

96-98 VICs can talk to Chrysler head units over the CCD bus to set the time and date. However, if you have a non-Chrysler head unit, then you can just use the SELECT and SET buttons to set the time and date manually.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Well, not my VIC then '98 niner with VIC and Chyrsler stock head unit. Won't set time either way, have to set it up manually on both.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The VIC will just let you set the clock if it doesn't get the time from the radio, thats how it is in the 96. My niner vic communicates with the stock head unit.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
a70eliminator

On my 98 setting the time on the vic simultaniously changes the time on the radio.
Just push and hold set button for 5 secs, it will begin to flash the display, use the other button to scroll through functions and use set button to change, something like that anyhow.
Ok nevermind you updated your post as I was typing.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Right I understand everything said here, but when setting the time on the VIC (not by using the headunit), it only gives the option to adjust the hours and to set the date. It won't let me adjust the minutes. Normally what I do after unplugging my battery is set the date and hour on the VIC and then adjust the minutes on the headunit which updates the VIC simultaneously. Without a Chrysler headunit, there would be no conceivable way to adjust the minutes on the VIC, and I was curious as to whether the VIC will let you set the minutes when it doesn't detect a Chrysler headunit on the CCD bus.

Better yet, those of you who still use the OEM Chrysler headunit, how do you handle the buttons not working? I removed the headunit from the car and resoldered every single contact on that circuit board (which didn't help), and cleaned the bass, treble, mid, and speaker fader switches, which made those faders work better. But I don't understand why the rest of the buttons need to be mashed so hard to get them to work. If all the buttons worked nicely I would have no need to replace the headunit and therefore wouldn't be concerned with setting the clock on the VIC.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold View Post
Without a Chrysler headunit, there would be no conceivable way to adjust the minutes on the VIC, and I was curious as to whether the VIC will let you set the minutes when it doesn't detect a Chrysler headunit on the CCD bus
As has been said, it sure will. Looks like you've got a slightly weird problem with your VIC.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If the head unit isn't there the Vic will let you set the time hours and minutes.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

To set the VIC time, you press and hold the Set button until the hours start blinking, press the set button until you get the hour you want, then press the Select button to get to minutes. Repeat the process to get all of the settings done and the final press of the Select button will complete the process. Repeat the process if you make a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldGold View Post
Right I understand everything said here, but when setting the time on the VIC (not by using the headunit), it only gives the option to adjust the hours and to set the date. It won't let me adjust the minutes. Normally what I do after unplugging my battery is set the date and hour on the VIC and then adjust the minutes on the headunit which updates the VIC simultaneously. Without a Chrysler headunit, there would be no conceivable way to adjust the minutes on the VIC, and I was curious as to whether the VIC will let you set the minutes when it doesn't detect a Chrysler headunit on the CCD bus.

Better yet, those of you who still use the OEM Chrysler headunit, how do you handle the buttons not working? I removed the headunit from the car and resoldered every single contact on that circuit board (which didn't help), and cleaned the bass, treble, mid, and speaker fader switches, which made those faders work better. But I don't understand why the rest of the buttons need to be mashed so hard to get them to work. If all the buttons worked nicely I would have no need to replace the headunit and therefore wouldn't be concerned with setting the clock on the VIC.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.