serpentine squeal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > serpentine squeal

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

serpentine squeal

Damn thing is squealing and driving me nuts. I replaced the belt, and the idler, to no avail. The bearings in the idler were shot, but still no luck.

It stops when it's warmed up too about 190, so right as the thermostat is opened.

I took the belt off, and the alternator pulley squeeks a bit when turning it by hand, although, when the belt is on and running, a bit of soap on the belt quiets it immediately. Leading me to think its the belt and not a wheel, but its a newer belt, and it has to be a wheel slowing down the blet right?

FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

Mine was doing the same thing.. how tight do you have the belt? I tightened mine up a bit more & no more squeal.
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
tcar
2000 WJ 

Which engine??? They're different.

Can you tell where it's coming from?

For accessories, get a 2' long piece of garden hose, one end on your ear, move the other end around to A/C, idler, PS pump, etc.

One thing that can cause it can be the PS pully not being aligned with the belt...
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Which engine??? They're different.

Can you tell where it's coming from?

For accessories, get a 2' long piece of garden hose, one end on your ear, move the other end around to A/C, idler, PS pump, etc.

One thing that can cause it can be the PS pully not being aligned with the belt...
It's a 318. You can do the same thing with a screwdriver.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

318 is correct. The noise is definitely coming from the passenger side (its not the PS pump, it's only three months old BTW.)

The belt is tight, and is not adjustable, the 318 uses an auto tentioner.

I tried the hose trick the other day, listening at every wheel, and still couldn't narrow it down.

Yesterday after going through a car wash, the squeal was worse than ever, but again, quieted down after it warmed up.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

My zj 5.2 has never liked certain types of belts and will always squeal if i put the more expensive belts on mad from the newer style compounds .The worst was a belt made by/for prestone .But As long as i stick to the old fasioned rubber/cloth type constructed belts - no squealing .
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
tcar
2000 WJ 

If the carwash made it worse, it could be near the bottom of the engine. Crank pulley?

Screwdriver works better w/ engine noises, hose better w/ ancillaries.

Yes the 5.2 (318) is not adjustable. The plus is that it only takes about 30 seconds to change belts.

What kind of belt...? I think GY Gatorback is the best
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I'll guess water pump if it stops when the thermostat opens.

I just replaced my entire tensioner assy with a Gates unit. Really was making a racket near the end. But not a squealing, more of a clacking. Try shooting WD-40 into the tensioner and see if you get a change.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.