Serpentine Belt Tensioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Serpentine Belt Tensioning

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

Serpentine Belt Tensioning

hi,

I have a 97 4.0L straight six with a belt squealing. I want to tighten the belt and all I can find is reference to the tensioner being under the steering pump. I don't have the automatic tensioner and the steering pump doesn't look like it moves as it is fixed with brackets and one of the pipes is solid without any flex. I have noticed the alternator appears to have an adjustment bolt and lock bolt. I can't find any reference to anyone adjusting the tension via the alternator, but am I loking at the correct bolt - anyone have a similar setup ?

Cheers
Chris

chrisod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It's the same as a 96 4.0 and here's a video for the 97 4.0 on changing the belt/adjusting the tension. The short of it is: loosen the tensioner pulley under the power steering pump with a 15mm box/open end wrench, take the sensor plug off of the thermostat housing, and turn the adjustment bolt to the right w/a 15mm socket/extension which goes down to the back of the tensioner pulley. While the guy in the vid said to have 1/4" of tension play in the belt you may want to look at 1/2" play. But whatever stops your squeaking and don't tighten it too much where it puts stress on everything the belts connected to.

Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply. I saw this vid a while ago and thought it was just what I needed, but I don't have the tensioner bolt. I've read that the power steering pump is used to tension the belt, but this appears to be fixed by a couple of brackets with no facility for it to move. I do have what looks like a tensioner bolt on the alternator, but I've not seen any reference to it being used to tighten the belt.
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Loosen the 15mm pulley directly underneath the power steering pump bracket. Then tighten down the really long 15mm bolt on the left of the power steering pump reservoir. You want about a 1/4" of play at the longest part of the belt, I use the strip right in front of the fan to verify. Then re-tighten the pulley back down. Quick and easy.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

Thanks, but I don't have a 15mm bolt to make the adjustment with. I think the adjustment is on the alternator, but I want to check first as I have not seen any reference to this anywhere.
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisod View Post
Thanks for the reply. I saw this vid a while ago and thought it was just what I needed, but I don't have the tensioner bolt. I've read that the power steering pump is used to tension the belt, but this appears to be fixed by a couple of brackets with no facility for it to move. I do have what looks like a tensioner bolt on the alternator, but I've not seen any reference to it being used to tighten the belt.
Interesting. Since you are not seeing the same thing we are, as far as belt tensioning on a 97 4.0, I kind of wondered if you have a US made ZJ? From another one of your posts I see you are in the UK and it must be different.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...pipes-1233875/

It would probably help us troubleshoot if you filled out your profile info and/or mentioned it was a European built ZJ.

You may have to find a FSM or Haynes manual that applies to your ZJ. But look at the back bottom of your power steering pump bracket and make sure there's not an elongated slot with an adjustment bolt. I'm not familiar with tightening an adjustment bolt on an alternator and I wouldn't think this would be on aluminum is it? Maybe it's on some type of steel bracket?

Sometimes there's also and adjustment pulley which just tightens with a 1/2" square ratchet.
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

I'll try to post a couple of pics if it ever stops raining! I am in the uk and my Haynes manual has gone astray. I think I will buy another. If I get the answer I will post an update.
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I'll try to post a couple of pics if it ever stops raining! I am in the uk and my Haynes manual has gone astray. I think I will buy another. If I get the answer I will post an update.
The Haynes manual is commonly incorrect. I would suspect that even more with a UK Jeep. I would download the FSM (Factory Service Manual) on Google as a PDF file. That's what the dealership uses to make repairs.

Here are a couple pics of my 4.0L and how to tighten the belt.

The first picture is the small pulley below the power steering bracket that you need to loosen. The second picture is the really long 15mm bolt that you tighten/loosen to adjust the belt.
1.jpg   2.jpg  
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

if you dont have the newer style tensioner assembly then yours must be the version pictured below. Keep in mind there are also 2 bolts on the back of the aluminum bracket that also need to be loosened for the pump to slide.

Step 1. loosen upper pivot bolt
Step 2. loosen (2) 13mm bolts on back side of pump bracket
Step 3. loosen lower locknut below PS pump pulley
Step 4. tighten low side tensioner bolt until proper belt tension is achieved
Step 5. tighten lower locknut and re-tighten remaining bolts

This whole job is a lot easier if you remove the airbox first and it only takes a few min to pull it.
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

ok. I'm pretty sure the PS pump will not move. The top two bolts in the pic do not allow any movement. There is also no bolt underneath the pump to make any adjusments. I've included a pic of the alternator which has adjustment on it. I'm presuming that the European built car differs from all the info I've found.
2012-06-25-15.48.46.jpg   2012-06-25-15.50.12.jpg  
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

Quick update..I've adjusted the position of the alternator a few mm and the squealing has gone. Seems the uk 4.0L petrol engine is different to the us model - just got to locate the correct belt now as it could probably do with changing.

Thanks for your help....
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Quick update..I've adjusted the position of the alternator a few mm and the squealing has gone. Seems the uk 4.0L petrol engine is different to the us model - just got to locate the correct belt now as it could probably do with changing.

Thanks for your help....
My ZJ is European, and has the standard tensioner pulley below the servo pump.

Could it be that right-hand drive ZJs are different? Mine is left-hand drive, of course, same as US built ZJs.
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Thanks for your help....
Glad you got your tension tightened to where the belt's no longer squeaking.

Good luck finding a new belt and it may involve taking your old one in where they can match the model/year along with the width, # of ribs, and length for a replacement. Of course a new one would be just slightly shorter because your old one is stretched.
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

well i'll be damned! Thats the first time I've ever seen that setup. Do you have air conditioning? Where is your A/C compressor located on your Jeep? I only ask because It looks like you dont have the normal AC/alternator bracket and your p/s lines cross over the top of the normal AC location
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
your p/s lines cross over the top of the normal AC location
That makes sense. The steering wheel for the UK model will be on the opposite side to the US/European model, but the PS pump is in the normal place, so it's inevitable that the PS lines will have to cross over the engine bay.

chrisod - could you post a pic of your whole engine bay? It's just for the sake of interest, I'd like to see how the right-hand-drive ZJ is laid out.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
serpentine belt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.