Serpentine Belt Tensioner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Serpentine Belt Tensioner

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
x1n54n3x
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Serpentine Belt Tensioner

I recently blew out the tensioner pulley on my 94 5.2- simple, it's not the first time I've had to replace a pulley. Pulley- ~30 bucks, new belt (mine was a little worked) ~45 bucks. I replace everything and once I get the belt where it's supposed to be, the tensioner pulley isn't even keeping tension. It's as if the belt I was given was about an inch too long. Or the pulley I've replaced the broken one with too small in diameter. While I've been screwed by the guys at the parts store before, this seems pretty basic.

Can the tensioner be adjusted or is that the root of the problem in the first place- the tensioner went bad, caused the belt to work the pulley, thus destroying the pulley and belt in the process? Let me know what you guys think- it's as if my ZJ doesn't want to continue it's glorious life in the mountains or something.

x1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Tensioner can't be adjusted , however I have had great success fixing them pretty easily . Remove it . Pin it to a vice , hit the spring area with PB blaster , work it back and forth 25+ times . Lube it up with fluid film , wipe it down , re-install it , be sure all pulleys are clean , done . Did this on my Black 5.9 3 or more years ago , not a squeak or squeal since . Did it to my 95 5 years ago . Just did it to my White 5.9 when I did the waterpump . Had to do it to a jeep I flipped . Worked every time .

If you don't have a vice , leave it on the jeep . Do the same as said above . Never did it this way but should have much the same effects .

I think the corrosion builds up where it pivots and stops the tension in the spring from doing it's job . It really helps bring life back to what seems a worn out part .

Did you get the right belt ? That's more than I can say right now . If you have the brand name and part number , then I would know for sure .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
x1n54n3x
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks newfie, I'll head to the store tomorrow to pick up some blaster- I don't have a vice so I'll have to let you know how this turns out leaving it on the block.
x1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.