Serpentine Belt Squeal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Serpentine Belt Squeal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

Serpentine Belt Squeal

upon replacing my serpentine belt, it not squeals like a hyena when you turn it on, more so when its cold, wet, or if i turn the headlights on/ ac/ fan speed. It isn't a chirp. It is a constant frequency noise and will all of a sudden stop once its been running for a minute or so. If its still squealing and you give it gas it gets 10X worse! HELP! mechanics say they can't replicate the noise but it does it every morning.

SethGCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
psychwarfare
1997 ZJ 

When did you replace it? Is it tensioned sufficiently? Have you tried cleaning it a bit? Gently with a wire brush is what I've heard recommended before...
psychwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you just replaced the belt and it's squealing the most common problem is that it just isn't tensioned enough. The belt is slipping in the morning and stops once it has warmed up enough. Cheaper belts are much more prone to doing this. After that check to make sure that there isn't any crap filling up the grooves in the pulley's. An old belt can pack a bunch of rubber dust and dirt into the grooves. I like to use a hook pick to clean them out. You might also take off the belt and turn all the pulleys by hand to make sure something isn't going bad. Usually you would have noticed other problems by now if that was the case. You could also try washing your belt just in case something (antifreeze, oil, PS fluid, etc.) got on it.

FWIW I like to use the hook pick to clean the grooves on my belt and wash it with soapy water and a wire brush. Serpentine belts will pick up a surprising number of small rocks stuck in the grooves. The wire brush also roughens the surface a bit.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

Tighten'er down son.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
xxmikewalshxx
1997 ZJ 

Get a real belt. If everything is mechanicly sound, tensioner, idler, alt, AC etc, then you need a better belt. OE Belts are made from a very specific chemical formulation of EPDM rubber compounds. Only one aftermarket company makes this belt in the aftermarket, Bando. Gates and Dayco make OE belts but do not sell them in the aftermarket, Goodyear has no OE applications, there tires are nice but the belts are a joke. Cleaning, belt spray and the like are a waste of time, junk in the trunk fixes.... Bando is carried by distributors as a second line belt, AKA the "cheap" belt as oposed to Gates or Dayco, not sure why... If you cant find a local distributor, Amazon sells them. Please let me and your Mechanic know how you make out, I'm 100% certain on this if everything else is right. No, I don't work for them.........
All Stock save for one track arm bushing, one Plenumn gasket, one Thremostat, one Magnaflow Muff, some vacum crap and roof accessories. Just added, loads of burn marks, melted plastic, tires, paint, smoke tinted glass.......
xxmikewalshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

I had it changed at my local Chevy Dealership, i'd go to a chrysler dealership mechanic but the only one around tries to convince me everything is broken and i need a new car. Took it in 50,000 miles ago and they told me my transmission was gonna go any moment and a new transmission would be 5 grand so they 'took the liberty' and went ahead to inspected it for trade in value. Would the belt brand be labeled on it somewhere? Im not exactly sure how to take off a belt. How might i know if its loose?

Thanks for all the advice!
Unread 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I've tried all the cheap-o belts, but the Gates is the one that seems to hold up the best on my 4.0.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
melk
1996 ZJ 

Seth, do you have any tools?

Wrench? Sockets? Hell, vise grips n duct tape will get ya farther than anything else. and don't forget a bfh!
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Seth, do you have any tools?

Wrench? Sockets? Hell, vise grips n duct tape will get ya farther than anything else. and don't forget a bfh!
Oh yeah, i have all that
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
melk
1996 ZJ 

Then get to it man. Pull that little lever by your drivers side kick panel to pop the hood.
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

The belt is on a spring loaded tensioner. First thing to do is relieve the tensioner pressure so you can remove the belt.

Be sure the tensioner operates smoothly and puts decent force on the belt in the operating position. Sometimes the spring loaded mechanism seizes up. Once you've worked it back n forth a few times to know it's tensioning the belt properly then it's time to upgrade the belt.

You should also spin all the idler and tensioner pulleys with the belt off to be sure there's no bad bearings

The cheap $25 belts sold at oreillys and advance are total junk and will cause problems on most vehicles. Rock auto is about the only place to buy a decent belt without spending $45.

Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

[EDIT] bad information. Was thinking of an XJ 4.0
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Can't believe no one mentioned this.
New belts will stretch, and some times need to be readjusted.
Twist the belt with your hand ,in the middle of the longest span,if you can twist it to 90 degrees but not past its tight
This is from 98 FSM
98serp-belt.jpg  

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
elkski
1993 ZJ 

What is the best brand of belt... I bought one at ORielly's for I think 44$ and he said they were out of the top quality ones.
I think my squeak is from the crank moving forward in the engine and things inside the engine.. on my 93 5.2

PLus I didn't see where the OP said he had a 4.0l if its a 5.2 there is no way to tighten the belt.. but it is easy to replace using a 15mm end wrench... find the pulley nearest the battery but not the alternator and put the wrench on that bolt starting with the wrench several inches from the battery and push it towards the driver side the tension er will move and let you take the belt off of the nearest pulley.. the belt does not need to go between the fan and shroud and the routing placard is right there in front of you on top of the radiator.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

The OP Jeep info says 4.0

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise , serpentine belt , squealing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.