Serious tranny issues!!! Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Serious tranny issues!!! Please help!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
youwish0411
1994 ZJ 

Serious tranny issues!!! Please help!

Ok. I have a 94 ZJ with the 5.2. Yesterday while I was driving I noticed a whole bunch of fluid on the back window and all over the hatch. I looked underneath the Jeep and saw tranny fluid ALL OVER down there. Then today, I wiped everything down, refilled the tranny, and tightened the bolts on the tranny pan (I had a tranny service done and thought maybe they wiggled loose). It didn't leak at all when I drove it after that. I thought I fixed it.

Later on tonight, I was driving home and I hear a "pffffffffffff" sound. I look under it when I got home and, in 6 blocks, it pissed all the tranny fluid back out and, again, it went everywhere. So much so that I can't even tell where it is leaking from. It's obviously building up too much pressure but why? I didn't overfill the tranny, I didn't do anything other than tighten the pan bolts.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what is going on? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

youwish0411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Rusted tranny cooler line is my guess. Not sure how it got on the back window. Thats incredible. Maybe it sprayed on the tire and that shot it all over.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
cuzsis
1995 ZJ 

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 5.2

However, my dad had a problem with his tranny in his 4.0, after the fluid was filled by a local shop. Something about having to test the level with the jeep in "neutral" instead of park, they did it wrong and screwed up the fill.

Probably not what you're dealing with, but it was odd enough I just wanted to throw it out there.

This link from another spot in the forum has some common problems/fixes for the Transmission. (#11).

Good luck!
cuzsis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I'm voting tranny lines. Exact same thing happened to me, it was half *** mechanic job, though my dad tells me when he first had it fixed it was because the tranny lines had rusted out. I would check there, and replace.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Not sure how it got on the back window. Thats incredible. Maybe it sprayed on the tire and that shot it all over.
Air flow caused it to get on the back window, Any type of fluid leak will end up on the back on the lift gate/window, Be it the rear end or tranny,
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9090 View Post
Air flow caused it to get on the back window, Any type of fluid leak will end up on the back on the lift gate/window, Be it the rear end or tranny,
I had a rear dif/driveshaft seal go on me once and everything stayed underneath somehow. Stunk too!
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Pressure cant be too high its not a pressure system. I would check the lines to the radiator. Other than that the gasket to the pan is it one of the god damn rubber ones? I had lotts of fun with one a few years back kept blowing out the side when it got warm. The 46re requires a cork and metal lined gasket, These Mexican rubber gaskets do not do the trick. If you tighten it more than finger tight with a rubber gasket or as I call them rubbers they slip out the sides. Or heat up and blow out the side. Def not made by Trojan.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Make sure to use only atf+4 some shops use a universal fluid that destroys 46re's has to be atf4 for Chrysler vehicles.
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Man I feel bad for anyone behind you.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
Man I feel bad for anyone behind you.
3 weeks ago I was on a long trip up north and noticed in my rearview nothing but an empty highway and blue smoke. ended up blowing a trans line and while fixing it road side I noticed that my entire front end and everything under them hood looked armoralled with trans fluid along with fluid all over the back window hatch bumper and my two buddies trucks who unfortunally had to ride behind me until I could get off the highway
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Lmao poor guys.
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
youwish0411
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for all the replies! I found out that it was in fact the tranny cooler lines. But instead of rusting out, a clip was missing to hold the line into the tranny. I went to the dealership in town and they had no idea what the hell I was talking about. Neither did about two other dealerships. So I went home, got some safety wire and safety wired the piss out of it! It hasn't leaked a drop since.

And to Kevinyj95, it is a cork gasket, not a rubber one.
youwish0411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i prefer rubber gaskets to cork...but the best one is the plastic and rubber molded one from mopar
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Never seen the plastic and rubber ones. Just the flexable gummy ones that slip out. Autozone/advance.
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
Never seen the plastic and rubber ones. Just the flexable gummy ones that slip out. Autozone/advance.
gotta get it from the dealer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.