Serious o2 sensor problem. Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Serious o2 sensor problem. Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

Serious o2 sensor problem. Help

My 98 Gc broke down this morning and it seems that my o2 sensor got caught on my driveshaft by the TCase and was ripped out at the pipe. My exhaust is fine but the "harness" that connects the o2 sensor has undergone some wire damage as well. I can find the harness and was wondering if a direct connection/splicing the 02 sensor wire to the harness wire bypassing the quick connect. Btw she just cranks and won't start, so if what is visible isn't te complete problem what else could it be in relation to the sensor? I hope it's only the wires that need to be repaired.

ConnorZJ413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

make sure none of the wires are touching each other or grounding themselves out on the exhaust or anything else then try to start it. also check if your check engine light comes on at all. can you hear your fuel pump turn on when u turn the key on? it could have fried your pcm. im sure someone else will have a better answer than me.
copengrizz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

No dude it seems your on track. My fuel pump turns on and doesn't turn off just constantly buzzes. It did the same thing when I had a bad crankshaft sensor. But I will check the wires again. Would it be smart to cut off the whole damaged wire and directly connect the o2?
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

When it happened I heard it pop out and the about 15 seconds later it just shut off.
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

id cut off the damaged part your gonna have to fix it anyways. make sure none of the wires are touching each other or grounding themselves out or just try to reconnect the o2 sensor. also what ive read from googling it could have burnt the fuel pump relay. so try to swap the fuel pump relay with another one like the horn relay if the horn works. just make sure none of the o2 sensor wires are grounded out or touching each other.
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

also swap the ASD relay with another known good one. it could have fried the asd relay as well. if the pump is turning on then the fuel pump relay would be good im guessing. so try swapping the asd relay.
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

Ok so I'm going to buy an asd relay. And I'm realizing that after cbecking the wires werent grounded I'm getting power but my gauges aren't lifting wen I turn the key on. They all real 0 even gas gauge. There is a small damaged part which looks to be easy on the wires. Would asd relay knock out my gauges?
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

im not sure if the asd would do that but i know a dead pcm would. id swap the asd relay with the horn relay before going and buying one.
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

Yea the relay is fine but I'm thinking and the ground was wet. So maybe te wet ground shorted the PCM? Not sure but I think I need it looked at ��
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

shorted out sensor connection with the vehicle running = very high chance of damage to PCM... Check all the fuses(even ones you don't think are related, because Chrysler is just that weird to mix them w/o labels). You can continue on the relay path as well. I hate to say it bud, but you might be out a computer..
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
ConnorZJ413
1998 ZJ 

Ugh what a bummer. Thanks for all the advice, I think we're hot on the problem but without professional eyes I can't say. It's going to the shop and I will keep this thread updated with the problem. Make sure your o2 sensor is clear of the driveshaft! Is a PCM easy to change? I see it and looks easy, is there anything more to just connecting it?
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

check all fuses under the hood. one of the mini 15 amp fuses powers the pcm. it usually goes when the harness gets damaged. if the 12v o2 heater voltage shorted to o2 sensor output wire, it could have damaged the PCM. it's luck of the draw when that happens. i've never known of a relay being damaged during one of these incidents.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

x2 that it's probably not a relay(doesn't hurt to double check them all for peace of mind, imo though). To take the PCM off, it's two or three bolts(i think 13mm?) and a couple harness plugs, iirc. Not too involved. Main thing is making sure the battery is unhooked when messing with that stuff
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.