Sentry Key Immobilizer problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sentry Key Immobilizer problems

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
PIAZ

Sentry Key Immobilizer problems

Hi all,

I recently returned from a long posting overseas and my Grand cherokee(2001) has been sitting in my garage for over a year. I had a basic sevicing carried out(oil change,transmission fluids etc) and it turns out the fuel pump was not working. Changed it and the car startede.Drove it that evening but the next morning it started but the engine shut down after about 3 secs.
I looked in the manual and it mentioned the SKIS security system. I looked in the instrunt panel and indeed the sentry key lamp is on.It comes on on after the key is switched on and goes off briefly and then on again and stays on.It shuts the engine off after 3 secs. The car starts ok but dies down after 3 secs.
Can you please help,either with a bypass solution or anyother solution.for its been sitting there for about two weeks now.I have the grey key headed key but don't have the pin number as I bought the car at the Manheim car auction site!

Thanks.

PIAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Jmila1901

Do you have a second key?? I hate to say it but your stuck... Get a tow to a Jeep, Dodge or Chrysler dealer and have them reprogram the key, some high end locksmiths perform the service too... A AAA premium membership is 90 dollars, they will tow up to 500 miles
2007 Nike Dunks Size 12... Backup

Blue Jeep Club Member # 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRockin024
You know your drunk when you have a little to much blood in your alcohol stream
Jmila1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
zjay

If the key has already been programmed, it will usually not reprogram, the DRB will tell the tech the key is already programmed to something and no longer programmable. A dealer will need to get into it, unfortunately, unless you have another SKIM key to try. It should not have happened but they do act up sometimes.

Any of the Chrysler dealers can get the skim code.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
PIAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjay View Post
If the key has already been programmed, it will usually not reprogram, the DRB will tell the tech the key is already programmed to something and no longer programmable. A dealer will need to get into it, unfortunately, unless you have another SKIM key to try. It should not have happened but they do act up sometimes.

Any of the Chrysler dealers can get the skim code.

Hi once again
I have still got this problem.
I failed to tell you that I am living abroad and there
are no reputable jeep dealers here.

It seems that on examining the key that the upper loop
Is broken by a keyring I had on it.There seem to be
some wires going through there which are now severed.
I have tried Jeep's customer service but they have been
unhelpful.
Is there some ways I can bypass the sentry key circuit?
There are four wires coming out of the imobilizer's module
under the steering column.
please help!
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
PIAZ

Sentry key imobilizer 2

Hi,

I have still got this problem with the sentry key. My jeep just won't run for more than 2 secs.
It now seems that the encoded chip in the key is currupted.I have ran the onboard diagnostic test on the
Odometer.I get 111111/222222/333333/444444/555555/666666/777777/888888/999999.It seems that thiese are just standard normal codes and that all is well except for the imobilizer which blocks the whole
system.

I failed to tell you in my last post that that I am living abroad and there
are no reputable jeep dealers here.

It seems that on examining the key that the upper loop
Is broken by a keyring I had on it.There seem to be
some wires going through there which are now severed.
I have tried Jeep's customer service but they have been
unhelpful.
Is there some ways I can bypass the sentry key circuit?
Someone in the forum suggests "removing the circuit and manually complete the circuit to the ignition,bypassing the chip"
Is there anyone out there who knows how this can be done?
There are four wires coming out of the imobilizer's module
under the steering column:

From left to right:Yellow/black
Blue/white
Black/Orange
Pink
The Imobilizer box under the steering column has the following markings:
IMOBILIZER 2
5WY7 005B
PO4686665AB
TKJ2890A2120

I have also seen imobilizer bypass systems on the web. Do they work?

please help!

Last edited by PIAZ; 04-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: It was incomplete
Unread 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
TupinMorgan
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Please let me know if you get an answer. I'm in the same boat (sort of). The shippers lost one key in transit and the mechanics lost the other one about 8 months ago for my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The "tow it to a dealership" doesn't work when I'm in Liberia and the closest dealership is in Baltimore, Maryland.

Some dude told me he could fly here with his computer if I bought him a plane ticket.... it all sounded fishy even though this whole thing is over my head.
TupinMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.