Security system issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security system issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Samson007
1994 ZJ 

Security system issues

Good morning.
So, I have 94 limited, grand cherokee. The battery went dead. Wouldn't hold a charge, so I replaced it with a new batt. Now It wont start. The security system does reset (with a key locking and unlocking the door)
It turns over great. Just not even trying to start. It almost seems like another security system issue. As though the system is still not allowing it to start.?
For the last few weeks, the alarm would sound when you unlock the drivers door. You have to unlock the passenger door first. Which is really odd, and not the norm. Related?
Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks.

Samson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

The reason that you need to unlock the passenger door first is because there's a sensor in each of the front doors and the tailgate, they disarm the security system when the lock is keyed. However, they wear out over time (all three are shot in my GC).
The best way around it for many of us here has been to de-activate the security system completely, and it's pretty simple to do. There's a purple wire with a yellow tracer in the driver's side kick panel, just ground it and your security problems will be over.

Now, I'm not sure that it's the security system causing your current problem. But it's not a bad idea to get rid of the SS anyway, mine was nothing more than a PITA until I got rid of it.
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Samson007
1994 ZJ 

PITA!! thats what this SS is.!! I will definately dis-connect it! thanks!

no ideas on the not starting huh? It almost sounds like a fuel pump failing. Cause it's turning over, it just wont fire.. Hmmm.....???
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, could be a fuel pump. But my fuel pump gave me lots of warning before it went out.

Could you have maybe blown a fuse somehow when you installed the new battery? Check all your fuses to make sure. Also, the fuel pump relay may have gone out. It's in the power distribution block, right behind the battery. I tested my relay and pump by disconnecting the incoming fuel line from the injector rail and turning the key on for a second. If the pump and relay are good, fuel will come shooting out of the disconnected line. (I'm sure this is not the recommended procedure, but it worked for me.)

If no fuel comes out of the disconnected line, then check the relay itself by pulling the little plastic cap off of the relay and manually pushing the contacts together. If this produces no fuel pressure, your pump is probably bad.

Once you've verified that the pump and relay are good, check to make sure you're getting spark to the plugs. No spark and no fuel usually points to a bad Crank Position Sensor (CPS).

Hope this helps,
CI888
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Samson007
1994 ZJ 

Yes! that helps ALOT!!
I will be working on it tonight.. First, I'll dis-engage the security system. Then I'll be trouble shooting the starting problem.
Unfortunately, it's like 12deg out right now here in Denver. It should be about 0deg - 5deg tonight after the sun goes down.
Thanks for the help!!
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Trae
1994 ZJ 

Had the same issue with my 94 while it was in the shop - the mechanic was ready to start tearing things apart- for the extra money I'm sure! Got to looking around online and found others with the same issue. Followed someones advice and stuck the key in the back door and turned to the right twice - you will hear the security system beep at you if that is the issue. This is some sort of reset for the security system. Fired right up! Never had another problem with it, as long as I unlock the drivers door first. Anytime the battery gets disconnected, I just have to do it again! I prefer to keep the security system in tact - at least I know no one else is gonna get away with my jeep!

Last edited by Trae; 12-03-2009 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: add more info
Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Samson007
1994 ZJ 

That is crazy!! I will try it first thing this evening and let you know tomorrow.
Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.