Security system issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security system issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
LivesIn10sly

Security system issues

OK, first of all, why does my factory security system arm itself if my Jeep sits for a couple of weeks without me touching it?

2nd- since my Jeep's been sitting all summer and my battery is weak, my factory security system engages every time the battery dies...how do I just disable the thing completely? Should I just pull the fuse?

My keyless entry button hasn't worked since I got the thing, and I'm not paying what the dealership is asking for a new one. I'd just rather do away with the thing.

Thanks.

Bryan

[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
...much more to come soon...[/CENTER]
LivesIn10sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Disconnecting the battery trips the alarm. A weak battery does the same.

Try reprogramming the remote. Follow the directions in the owner's manual to the letter. If you don't, the procedure will fail. If that doesn't work, pop it apart. Mine did this and there was a bad solder connection inside the remote. Been working for 3 years after I resoldered it.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

No fuse without killing lots of stuff. It's built into the ECM.

It arms when you use the power locks to lock the doors prior to closing any of the doors. In other words, to keep from arming it you need to lock the doors manually. Or you can do what I did and get an aftermarket RKE (Non IR type remote) setup that will lock and unlock my doors. The way to bypass the security system is to not lock the doors with my remote until after all the doors are closed. It's weird but it works.

It's supposed to go off after the battery is disconnected so that a thief wouldn't just unplug the battery to get past the alarm.

Yeah the IR keyless remotes (93-95) are worthless. I got a radio type (RKE) with brain, and two remotes for about $25 or so. It works great and I can use it more than 30 feet away. The IR's only work when you are standing beside the door.

Bad design, but at least they had keyless, not many manufacturers did in 94.
Unread 10-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
LivesIn10sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Yeah the IR keyless remotes (93-95) are worthless. I got a radio type (RKE) with brain, and two remotes for about $25 or so. It works great and I can use it more than 30 feet away. The IR's only work when you are standing beside the door.

Do you remember where you got it? How much of a PITA was it to install?

Bryan
[CENTER]33x12.50 Dunlops, YJ tub, Herculiner, black diamond plate, Painless wiring, HEI
Unread 10-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I got it on Ebay, and I had to splice 4 wires in the drivers kick panel. Very easy.
Unread 10-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
randyszj94
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I got it on Ebay, and I had to splice 4 wires in the drivers kick panel. Very easy.

woody you got the anwser for everything.. you tha mann
randyszj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I try. You have to remember that I am a professional mechanic, just on airplanes which make cars look simple.
Unread 10-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
randyszj94
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I try. You have to remember that I am a professional mechanic, just on airplanes which make cars look simple.

wish i could be as cool as you...im a welder/ stiffer fitter/ don't screw up no more/ dang that boy works a lot of overtime professional kinda guy.....
randyszj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
LivesIn10sly

just as a follow up...talked to Jeep, they said if I just put my key in the door, the SS will shut off (didn't know that). Also that a new remote will only cost $35 and programming will be $10.

That's better than the $95 that someone else told me it would cost.

Bryan
Unread 11-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

You've got a nice dealer. However the IR remote will still barely work when standing beside your Jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.