Security or electrical issue?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security or electrical issue??

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Biologybrain
1995 ZJ 

Security or electrical issue??

I am completely NOT mechanical. So be forwarned if I use the wrong terminology or thingamabob. I'm also a JeepForum noob - so please be gentle! My husband will most likely read this post & frown at me since he's the vehicle god...

I have a '95 Ltd that's having what started as a security issue. I walked out to get something out of it, opened the door (it wasn't locked - I work for the state police & was in our parking lot) & the security system went off. My husband says the horn hasn't been working - well, it worked for the alarm!! Its really embarrasing to work for the police & have it sound/look like you're trying to steal your own vehicle!

I tried the after-market fob = NOTHING. I shut the door & tried left, right, left, right, etc = NOTHING. I tried starting it. It cranked & turned over, but quickly died. The next turn resulted in a click - no crank or firing. The alarm was still going off. The horn finally quit, but the lights & clicking were still present about 5 minutes into this fiasco. Finally, the lights & clicking stopped, but turning the key results in NOTHING. No gauges, no lights, no alarm, no click, nothing. I've gone to the passenger door & rear door to do the LRL thing = NOTHING.

I had a buddy (with a '98 XJ) try a jump from Jeep to Jeep with absolutely NOTHING happening. Well, once or twice we actually got the gauges & lights to come on & a click when turning the key, but no crank or firing. He did the no-no of touching the leads together while they're still connected to my ZJ -- sparks flew, so the battery seems ok. Battery doesn't look corroded & wires look kind of iffy, but not horrible.

Does this sound like the security system malfunctioning or like an electrical issue? Any fixes?

Biologybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Common security issue with the 1995 models, actually fixed it on my buddy's Jeep last week. The thread here will detail how to fix it, it is about a 1 hour job.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...our-zj-483020/
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Common security issue with the 1995 models, actually fixed it on my buddy's Jeep last week. The thread here will detail how to fix it, it is about a 1 hour job.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...our-zj-483020/
Holy crap dude, a hour? I just did the disable mod yesterday it took me like ten min. It is so nice not having to unlock the truck from passenger side before trying to get in.
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Wildspear
1993 ZJ 

I have read that some that do the wire mod run into issues with their interior lights staying on. Has anyone had this issue? To fix mine (93 ZJ 4.0L I-6) I only had to unlock my passenger door with the key. 1995zj, have you solved the mystery?
Wildspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
montypyfly
1983 CJ7 

The OP says nothing about if she used the key in the tailgate to unlock and reset the alarm. (she's a noob, remember)

I would put the key in the tailgate and turn it a few times first, before trying any wiring mods. Also charge the battery fully. Sparks are not test for whether the battery has enough amps to start the engine. (connections of the cables can be iffy too)

Good luck
montypyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71tbi View Post
Holy crap dude, a hour? I just did the disable mod yesterday it took me like ten min. It is so nice not having to unlock the truck from passenger side before trying to get in.
OP said they are not mechanical, 1 hour is probably reasonable for someone who has not removed trim pieces or played with wires before.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

is your air bag light on?
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Biologybrain
1995 ZJ 

whiteout
Quote:
So this fix will work even with absolutely no power? That's actually my main question. I read through most of the threads on fixing the security issues, but they all seemed to refer to vehicles that actually responded when the key was inserted in the ignition. Mine does absolutely NOTHING when the key is in the ignition & turned.

My husband will probably be doing this procedure -- actually after speaking with him last night I'm pretty sure he had already planned on doing it. He just hadn't had an issue with it yet. He's most definitely the skill-level of a 10 minute job. I could probably try for an hour & still not do anything constructive! Thanks!

monty
Quote:
The OP says nothing about if she used the key in the tailgate to unlock and reset the alarm. (she's a noob, remember)
I did try the tailgate -- that's what I meant when I said I tried "the passenger & rear door thing" in the OP.

jreyes
Quote:
is your air bag light on?
No air bag light -- no lights at all.

Thanks everyone!
Biologybrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.