Security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Security

For those of us who are going doorless and topless, what is everybody doing to make sure that people are not getting into their jeeps and messing with or stealing things out of them like tools and stereo equipment?

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum

Unread 04-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Eddinger

Curious about this as well. I want to take the doors off of my 93 zj but don't know what kind of havoc will ensue. Anyone have any stories good or bad about their doorless experiences?
Eddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
radean84
1996 ZJ 

There are alarms that have motion sensors. They usually give a warning first, then if movement keeps happening in or around the vehicle the alarm will go off. Depending where you live you probably shouldn't leave anything you're not willing to lose in a topless/doorless Jeep. In Fresno CA they break windows for cell chargers and change haha
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Mine has the factory alarm but i dont have a key fob for it so i cant turn the alarm on unless my doors are on and i can lock the doors by the switch. Is there a way that i can trick the pcm to make it think the harness is plugged in and lock the doors so that the alarm will activate/deactivate?

Unread 04-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I don't believe our alarms are anything but switch based, with the pre 96. OBDII I know allows the option of motion sensor systems and I think it was optional on the 97+ models to have it, can anyone confirm?
If it doesn't have that, then even if you can jumper the system to thinking the doors are on, the alarm will be nearly useless unless someone tries to start the vehicle or pop the hood. The best advice I could give is don't leave anything you don't want stolen or use chain locks/padlocks/etc. And as for the radio, there are some security devices and locks you can get, combined with removing the faceplate(if you have an aftermarket) but otherwise you're pretty much stuck taking the risks.
If they are determined enough and have the time, not even an armored truck is safe from thieves. Food for thought
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

pre 96 models security can be rendered inop by getting the vehicle running and removing the security module. this leaves the engine no run feature in the pcm permanently disarmed. alibi... i've never done this myself. i gleaned this info from this forum.

96 and up the security is inside the bcm. must reprogram to disable.

no zj has an oem security system with motion detector.

as long as the doors are off it will never arm because it thinks the doors are open.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

I put 2 little strips of metal over my door switches to make it think the doors are closed so that my interior lights will go off but i have no way to lock it because i dont have a key fob for it

Unread 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
pre 96 models security can be rendered inop by getting the vehicle running and removing the security module. this leaves the engine no run feature in the pcm permanently disarmed. alibi... i've never done this myself. i gleaned this info from this forum.

-Ill second that, seen several threads with that, no first hand exp tho-

no zj has an oem security system with motion detector.
I was thinking that but saw something about a 97 with it.. Must've been aftermarket I guess
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.