Sector Shaft - Steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sector Shaft - Steering box

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Sector Shaft - Steering box

Hey Guys,

So I have a lot of clunking in the shaft of my steering box. With the jeep off, I can move the steering wheel back and forth and the shaft clunks around.

Is that serviceable? If I purchase a new sector shaft can I replace mine and salvage the steering box?

Or should I just replace the whole damn thing?

Thanks,

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Not sure about rebuilding it, but if you do replace the box go with something reputable like PSC or AGR. I say this because I've gone through 3 reman boxes since my stocker failed. They are lifetime warranty but it's no fun replacing.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply dude.

I asked a good buddy of mine, he says the same thing, he never rebuilt one. So I was going to just buy a new box. But then I started looking and I saw the parts and the sector shaft specifically. So I was wondering if anybody had done this. But then again, for $100+ I may as well just put it towards a new box...

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.