Seafoam questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Seafoam questions

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

Seafoam questions

I have a 96 ZJ 4.0 and Ive been doing some research on doing the seafoam treatment. I am going to be doing a few upgrades here really soon, and I wanted to do this while I am at it. It has ~240k miles and as far as I am aware the treatment has never been done.

I have watched a few how-to vidoes on youtube and everyone seems to do it different. Some pour it right into the throttle body, some put it into a brake vaccuum line, some pour some into the gas tank... Im just curious as to what you guys do and what you think is the best method.

I have never done a seafoam treatment before so I dont know what to expect with it either. Have you guys had good luck? thanks!

AaronButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have used it on my Acura and my 5.9. Instructions are on the bottle. I poured half into my gas tank and the other half unto the brake booster line slowly being careful not to stall it out. Turn it off and wait. When you start it back up white smoke will billow out of the exhaust so do it some place it won't piss people off. Now go drive the piss out of it until the smoke stops.

Some people mix it in with the oil but I can't bring myself to do this. I feel that modern oil has plenty of detergents already.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Does the seafoam cause any damage to the cat when it starts billowing the white smoke? I've been thinking about doing this as well and didn't want to cause any problems since I just replaced my cat with a magnaflow high flow cat about a year ago.

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
Does the seafoam cause any damage to the cat when it starts billowing the white smoke? I've been thinking about doing this as well and didn't want to cause any problems since I just replaced my cat with a magnaflow high flow cat about a year ago.
It says on the can that it's safe but when all that crap comes out it's important to drive it hard to make sure the crap doesn't stay in there. I have never had an issue with it.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
baldygo
1996 ZJ 

my brother does it almost twice a year
when i did mine i poured half can into my gas tank, 2/3 can into the brake booster line and 2/3 in oil
it can throw a code from your o2 sensors after seafoam so you might want to unplug them before you do it.
i did feel a little difference (smoother running) but i will end up doing it again soon
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did the seafoam in my 4.0 in my TJ through the gas, vaccum intake and a little in the oil. Its defiantly cleaned everything up, it cleaned it so good that my rear main seal began to leak at 75,000. I kinda knew it was going to start sometime but atleast I got the seafoam treatment done. Let me tell you, the underside of that engine was spotless! It could have also been that i've only run Mobil 1 synthetic.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I pour half a can into the tank and slowly dribble half a can directly into the throttle body while holding the engine at 2000 rpm warmed up. When I'm almost done pouring the half into the throttle body I'll dump the last couple of ounces all at once to stall the engine. You can also just have someone waiting to turn it off quickly. Mine ran a lot better after, smoother. And my valves looked cleaner when I had the intake off last.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
When I'm almost done pouring the half into the throttle body I'll dump the last couple of ounces all at once to stall the engine.
you can hydrolock your motor dumping to much in at once you know.
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

I've been hesitant to try it myself. My rear main is leaking a small amount, and my plenum appears to need attention soon... I'm just worried that doing so will open the floodgates per say and make things worse. But my engine would be cleaned out
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
you can hydrolock your motor dumping to much in at once you know.
Yes, you can hydrolock an engine by dumping a lot of fluid in at once. I'm talking about the last bit of half a 16 oz can. Maybe an once or so. Doesn't take a lot to stall from the rich mix. The 4.0 combustion chamber is roughly 57 cc so about 2 oz. Worst case is I'm dumping 2 oz in the throttle body, it's getting sheared and atomized like crazy by the airstream off the edge of the throttle blade. So now I have a dense fine mist of fluid in the plenum. At 2000 rpm that mist has to avoid the crazy turbulence in the plenum and the multiple overlapping resonance from the intake events and all head down one runner and get sucked into the cylinder in one cycle. That takes about 0.03 seconds at 2000 rpm. I'm really not going to worry about it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Yes, you can hydrolock an engine by dumping a lot of fluid in at once. I'm talking about the last bit of half a 16 oz can. Maybe an once or so. Doesn't take a lot to stall from the rich mix. The 4.0 combustion chamber is roughly 57 cc so about 2 oz. Worst case is I'm dumping 2 oz in the throttle body, it's getting sheared and atomized like crazy by the airstream off the edge of the throttle blade. So now I have a dense fine mist of fluid in the plenum. At 2000 rpm that mist has to avoid the crazy turbulence in the plenum and the multiple overlapping resonance from the intake events and all head down one runner and get sucked into the cylinder in one cycle. That takes about 0.03 seconds at 2000 rpm. I'm really not going to worry about it.
Sounds good but the OP doesn't know all that so thanks for clearing that up.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I do a full can into the oil, and another into the gas. Haven't done the throttle body one yet. Didn't think about it.

I do this 1 gas tank Before an oil change. That way it only has 1 tank worth to stay in, AND what don't come out the muffler is gone soon as well.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

I wouldn't dare put any in the oil unless I had been doing it regularly since new. I would be to afraid of causing a leak or something. I have however tried 1/3 can in gas and through brake booster vac line. Always remember to check spark plugs after trying seafoam.
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I've done it to all of our vehicles just before an oil change. Wouldn't Seafoam 'cause a leak' only if there was already a leak that had filled with sediment there already? Also, Brake Booster Vac Line? What would that clean?
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
Also, Brake Booster Vac Line? What would that clean?
Cleans the intake. Really you can use any vacuum line that comes off the intake but the brake booster line is usually the easiest to get to and use. I've used the PCV line on different vehicles over the years also. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean the intake too. It's pretty much the same thing that comes in the 2 stage fuel injection kits that quick lube places use.

If you get a small shutoff valve of some type it will make it very easy to do this.

Attach one side to the vacuum line and the other side to a piece of fuel line with the valve off. Stick the fuel tube end in the bottle of detergent (seafoam or whatever) and start the motor. Slowly open the valve until the engine starts to run rough and then close the valve slightly. Let the engine run till the bottle is empty, shut off the engine, and reattach your vacuum line. Done. Quick and easy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.