Seafoam??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Seafoam???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95z View Post
Wonder if tide would work?
Tide mixed with grain alcohol

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Racing fuel! That'll clean er up real good!
95z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Cerbere
1998 ZJ 

Does Seafoam got electrolytes?

Cerbere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The air force did experiments after WWII with emulsifying water and aviation fuel. Just like water injection but without the need for a second fluid delivery system. You can add water up to almost the point of hydraulic lock and the motor would run fine. Most of the water was treated with methyl or ethyl alcohol to keep it from freezing. For the emulsified experiments they used detergent to keep the water and fuel from separating. They also ran it through a machine not unlike what they use to homogenize milk to force the oil and water into very small droplets. They could never get the mix to be stable enough to justify ditching the conventional water injection system though. So basically gasoline, Tide, and alcohol...
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

95 ZJ 5.2 w/ 225K miles I just did the Seafoam series - without the crankcase section. Put 1 can in gas tank, used 1/4 can throttle body cleaner spray and put about 1/2 of a Seafoam can in the brake booster hose slowly with engine running and poured 1/4 can down the air intake with engine off and wings held open. Left that in overnight. Started next morning with a little hesitation catching, but billowed out much smoke for 5-10 minutes then began running stronger than ever. I took it for a drive and the improvement in throttle response/pick up, top end power etc. was very noticeable. Zoomed up on ramp to freeway and zipped past other cars like i have not seen before.
I respect those who have opinions that this stuff may be harmful, but I took a chance and so far so good. I am going to check mileage at next gas fill up and consider using Seafoam in oil before next oil change.
I cannot say that I would do this often, but I did it once and will most likely go back to routine of putting in an occasional bottle of Lucas gas treatment and/or Marvel Mystery oil to keep things clean
kirkham715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #21
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

If you have a look at the MSDS for seafoam, there's not a lot fancy in there - you could make it up in the garage. I use Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner, works a treat and has a very good (30-50) percentage content of Polyether Amine - which actually does the cleaning.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

If I recall correctly, weren't there threads on here before discussing Seafoam and it's possible harmful effects on O2 sensors?
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
95z

Most likely but that's OK
95z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
NoliftZJ
1996 ZJ 

After plenty of reading about Seafoam on this forum I added it to my full tank and my 5.2l throttle body. When I poured the final 3rd to stall the motor per instruction a coolant leak sprang in the area where the radiator hose meets the top of the motor. I hope its not the fuel pump leaking, but how would seafoam in the throttle body cause this?
NoliftZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.