Seafoam??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Seafoam???

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
OregonZJ98
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Seafoam???

Hat does it mean to seafoam your jeep and what does it do?

OregonZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Seafoam is an engine/fuel system cleaner. Some that use it swear to it's magic, others swear at it as just another snake oil. There are other products on the market that give the same results for less money.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

put it in the gas tank to clean injectors and fuel lines, put it in the brake booster vacuum hose to clean the combustion chamber. don't put it in the oil unless you want it to clear out the gunk that is helping hold your seals together.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
TKFlight
1995 ZJ 

My take on products like Seafoam, etc.

If you have gunked up injectors, yes Seafoam and other products may help but they aren't going to clean anything back to new. And that just doesn't go for injectors it goes for everything, if your Jeep is having fuel system problems or any other problem don't rely on a can of Seafoam to magically get rid of all problems. If that were the case these products would never be found on store shelves. In my opinion they are just preventative maintenance not a magical fix all problems in a can type thing. Don't take my opinion as Seafoam and other products don't work, I've used these types of products and seen results but its not worth to keep buying them and dumping them in all the time. Fix whats wrong with your Jeep or what ever vehicle.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Gazang
1997 ZJ 

Seafoaming is hit/miss depending on who you talk to. I would not recommend doing it very often... I'd say once a year max. People have complained about getting fancy new oil leaks after seafoaming, so buyer beware.

However, I seafoamed my whole system recently:
- Put one whole can into gas tank and fill tank to mix
- Put it into crankcase oil (Only do this if you plan on an oil change right quick)
- Sprayed the deepcreep into manifold
- Pulled it in through brake booster hose.
- Also cleaned my throttle body while I was at it.

Jeep has been running much better since and I am glad I did it.
Very good write-up at this link:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

Have fun and enjoy the smoke show
JS
Gazang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Shuggs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazang View Post
Seafoaming is hit/miss depending on who you talk to. I would not recommend doing it very often... I'd say once a year max. People have complained about getting fancy new oil leaks after seafoaming, so buyer beware.

However, I seafoamed my whole system recently:
- Put one whole can into gas tank and fill tank to mix
- Put it into crankcase oil (Only do this if you plan on an oil change right quick)
- Sprayed the deepcreep into manifold
- Pulled it in through brake booster hose.
- Also cleaned my throttle body while I was at it.

Jeep has been running much better since and I am glad I did it.
Very good write-up at this link:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

Have fun and enjoy the smoke show
JS
It's important to note that the leaks aren't from damage caused by seafoam, but rather the seafoam cleaning out gunk that was plugging those leaks.
Shuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

I tried Seafoam for the first time last year. I put maybe 1/2 to 2/3 can in the tank and the rest down the throttle body. I didn't expect it to do much, but I got an improved idle, smoother running engine, and slightly better gas mileage. The better gas mileage did taper off after a few months, but it's still higher than before using Seafoam.

Would I use it frequently? No

Did I change the oil soon after use? Yep
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Every time I've reverse flushed a set of injectors a lot of what you get out is sand. I don't care what you put in the tank; it isn't going to dissolve sand.

I have seafoamed a lot of engines in my family fleet and the Jeep saw a definite improvement. The Crown Vic didn't change much and the Lancer and Focus didn't change at all. It didn't hurt anything but it was no miracle. I plan on running seafoam through my jeep every year.

Once I drove the Crown Vic wagon to the beach and got 15 mpg, bought a can of fuel injector cleaner at the gas station in Corpus and got 20 mpg on the way back.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
TCrow2

I put about 4/5 in my tank and the rest in my oil. Noticed no difference in anything. And there was no smoke.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrow2 View Post
I put about 4/5 in my tank and the rest in my oil. Noticed no difference in anything. And there was no smoke.
There was no smoke because you didn't put it into the vacuum line.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

i find it really useful for getting my lawnmower up and running after being stored for the winter
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
TCrow2

All this seafoam talk made me have a dream last night thati used it in my go kart and was just overwhelmed by smoke
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
95z

I've been told marvel mystery oil is similar and does wonders. Gonna see next oil change. Also heard putting tranny fluid in your oil run it for a bit and change it. They all contain detergents and scrub it clean.
95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I also heard that motor oil has a bunch of detergents and additives in it as well. That's what I use. It's amazing.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I also heard that motor oil has a bunch of detergents and additives in it as well. That's what I use. It's amazing.
Wonder if tide would work?
95z is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.