Score. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Score.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
hmm... maybe I should re route mine. Im gettin nervous
you should be
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Its only an issue if you've deleted the fuse, used too small a wire and/or are running high wattage bulbs. You'll also get a cleaner, higher amperage source of power running off the battery itself and using the relay as the switch point vs using the rocker/toggle switch.
negative, i dont care if they are direct wired with 1-00, the switch is the weak link, you can buy switches that will handle it but they aren't cheap compared to a relay. I HAVE had a switch burn up just above my right knee, it was decent sized wire, the switch burned up, grounded the hot wire on the dash/column, super heated enough to melt the insulation all the way back to battery...well guess what, it also ran through the firewall with the main harness, so it fried a bunch of those wires as well. took me an entire weekend to cut and splice wire back in. It was an 89 dakota and it never fully functioned properly again for a 2$ relay...no thanks, ill pass

Unread 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The shorter the run of cable between the battery and the light the less voltage drop and the more light you'll get out of the lights. A relay off the battery at the light is the shortest path. Then it can be triggered by a simple switch. I run my radios the same way. They sit on a relay with high current handling and are triggered by either the auto switched outlet or a bypass switch.

Look at the write up for the kolak wiring harness for the stock lights, it's a major design flaw in these things. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...pgrade-660428/

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I used a relay however I grounded the switch to the cig lighter ground will that be sufficient? the lights and the relay i grounded to the body grounds on the passenger fender.
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I used a relay however I grounded the switch to the cig lighter ground will that be sufficient? the lights and the relay i grounded to the body grounds on the passenger fender.
yes, there is next to nothing for current there, the lights are grounded right?

edit, yes you're good
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
you should be

negative, i dont care if they are direct wired with 1-00, the switch is the weak link, you can buy switches that will handle it but they aren't cheap compared to a relay. I HAVE had a switch burn up just above my right knee, it was decent sized wire, the switch burned up, grounded the hot wire on the dash/column, super heated enough to melt the insulation all the way back to battery...well guess what, it also ran through the firewall with the main harness, so it fried a bunch of those wires as well. took me an entire weekend to cut and splice wire back in. It was an 89 dakota and it never fully functioned properly again for a 2$ relay...no thanks, ill pass
A 35w fog light isnt likely to burn up a switch unless its an uber cheapo china brand rocker switch which I wouldnt use even with a relay. I get what your saying and am in total agreement about using a relay but for small stuff as long as its fused lower than the amperage of the wire and switch itself there wont be a problem as the fuse will pop before the switch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.