School Me On Radiator Fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > School Me On Radiator Fan

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

School Me On Radiator Fan

Before I spend $384 for a new fan I want to make sure it is bad. (dealer only item)

Heres what I have. 2004 laredo, and I believe with out the tow package as I have 355 gears. My FSM shows a 2 speed fan and I believe that is what I have. It has a low and a high speed. I have three wires going to the connector and the wire colors match what the FSM says.

By going direct to the battery, I can get the fan to run in high, but not in low.

Does anybody know for sure if the fan is suppose to run in low? I checked with NAPA and they can only get a motor or complete fan assy with only one speed (two wires going to the connector).

Any ideas or input will be appriciated.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I can't answer your question directly...but I would try a j yard before I ever go to the stealership.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ca...g_systems.html
try here...hope this helps.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
cmonson

why do you care if the fan runs on high and low??? Just as long as it runs on high who really cares. just my $0.02.

I thought the relay controlled the high and low function of the fan. Maybe mine is different as it is a 2000.

None the less, if you had the factory tow option the electric fan isn't even there as a trans cooler is in it's place. So for a piece of mind, it really isn't required to adequately cool your jeep
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
cmonson

read through here: I guess 04 is different.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/wj-4-0-electric-fan-high-low-speed-809932/#post7529330

One person posted here that he did not find the fan relay under the pasenger headlight on his 2004. Since I also have a 2004 I looked at mine and did not see one either. Checking further in my FSM I find there are two relays in the power distribution center - one for high and one for low speed. These relays are the last two relays in the PDC at the hinge end of the compartment. I couldn't find any mention of the TWO in the description, but in the electrical wiring section they are shown in the wiring diagram in the PDC .
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson View Post
read through here: I guess 04 is different.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7529330

One person posted here that he did not find the fan relay under the pasenger headlight on his 2004. Since I also have a 2004 I looked at mine and did not see one either. Checking further in my FSM I find there are two relays in the power distribution center - one for high and one for low speed. These relays are the last two relays in the PDC at the hinge end of the compartment. I couldn't find any mention of the TWO in the description, but in the electrical wiring section they are shown in the wiring diagram in the PDC .

Thaks for this info. I was looking under the headlight this morning and could not see anything. I will check the PDC. Thanks again.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thats where the relays were, in the PDC. Glad I did not tear it apart or cut it all up looking for the other relay.

Took a ride into town awhile ago and the cooling seems to be better. I am begining to wonder if the wires in the connector are bad from salt corrosion. I think I will take it apart on my next days off and check the connector.

I will post up if I find this to be the case.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Well I bought the fan assembly from the dealer, $407 and change. I installed it today and it works great. For quite awhile now I have been running around 210 on the temp gage.

With the new fan I am back down to the 190 range where it is suppose to be.

I took the old motor apart and it was worn out. One of the 4 brushes in the motor was not even touching the armature (sp) and the armature was worn down about a good 1/8".

The only thing I kick myself in the butt for was not having enough time to check around for the fan. After I picked up the fan at the dealer and got the part number I checked on e-bay and found one for $85 + $15 shipping. The part number for the fan is 52079528AD.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.