Save $ on rear wiper motor - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Save $ on rear wiper motor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #76
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Never taken it off which is why it still doesn't work duh lol, it looks easy i was just saying that my shaft looks like it will be very hard to un seize. and yes i know how to follow instructions.
The shaft has a gear on the end that is engaged with drive motor inside. It won't turn now. Take it apart, it's an easy procedure. I've done it four times on different Jeeps, always worked (100%).

All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #77
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Should be easy to do, only thing im worried about is the seized shaft
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #78
Natej_85
1998 ZJ 

Im pretty sure i already stated this in another wiper motor thread with you. If it doesnt work now and you attempt the fix and it still doesnt work what are you out? Just some time and a little effort. Mine was seized for years or so i thought. Pulled it and found cracked solders easy as that. Worst case scenario is you try to fix it and still doesnt work. No biggy. Not being critical just saying give it a try.
Natej_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #79
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

It was seized so bad that the shaft broke completely off still in the sleeve must have been that was for a VERY long time, it was actually full of rust around the yellow gear. I was told it came from down south near the salt water in or around vancouver area when I bought the jeep.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #80
jonnyz123
1998 ZJ 

Did this today and it works great. Thanks for an awesome write up!!
jonnyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #81
hilroy97
2004 WJ 

Thanks OP for the post. Figured it was a shaft issue and will find out over the weekend.

Had similar problem with a 98 Nissan Pathfinder. The fix was easier as it didn't involve the circuit board removal.

Always used Nev-R-Seize on the shaft after.

Ed
hilroy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #82
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

My rear wiper has never worked until today. Cleaned the shaft as per the OP's instructions although I used a steel brush wheel to do it, worked like a charm! Regreased everything and put it all back together, and BAM I've got rear wiper action...Also resealed the gaskets to avoid having to do this again, even though it was actually pretty easy....
Great write up!

Now I just gotta get my wiper blade back from my ol' lady, since she talked me into letting her put it on her CR-V
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #83
cyberbonga
1998 ZJ 

Hello there, first of all, really nice write up, helped a lot of owners and saved them few $. Actually I applied the same procedure before reading this thread but had some problems which are mentioned in this thread as well, couldn't figure out how to resolve, but 2 days back, it just worked and I found the secret, thought of sharing as I read there are many who followed the procedure and ended up with single spin or not spinning at all.
It's true that it is good to "mark" the gear inside, but it is not that difficult to find the correct placing. I never marked the thing, and I faced the same problem of single spin. Finally I gave up on that and reassembled the motor and the back cover. After packing everything, when I started the jeep, i noticed it working problem free.
So the trick was that the motor would not work untill you close the trunk door, As far as the trunk is open, the sensor will stop the motor from spinning, and that was the mistake I was doing that after cleaning the whole thing, I was testing it by just connecting the wire (trunk door opened), so all you guys who have gone through this procedure and are still facing problems, remember to close the trunk before you give it a try
Hope this helps!
cyberbonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #84
jeepgrandcher98

For gomes512,

Great write up! However, I missed the part about marking the wheel before taking it out of the shaft, and now I can't seem to put it in properly. Do you have a suggestion as to how I can align the wheel so it will fit properly? Thanks!

EDIT: I also have tried plugging it in while the trunk door is shut. Everything is working except the wheel will not spin in the shaft.

Last edited by jeepgrandcher98; 07-14-2013 at 03:23 PM..
jeepgrandcher98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #85
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

It's been so long since I did this, you have to look at the gear face (it has the contact) and the arms on the motor body. Try different start positions by moving the gear forward or back a few notches.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #86
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Just marking this so I can follow it when the rain clears up. Hopefully all goes well!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #87
stuartbeattie
2003 WJ 

Big thanks gomes512,
BUT, my other half own a Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee and I joined here on her behalf, we're from the UK, Scotland Perth to be exact and I own another vehicle and belong to another forum and sadly i have the same issue here!
The guys in the know will stay in the know because you missed a major part of this operation.
I dont have a clue how to get in to the back panel of the tailgate and as wondrous as your post is, I still have to do some studying to get to where you got before this amazing post!
My Lady is agog to find she is stressed to worry over a lack of rear wiper as she has a lot of mileage to do and the rear wiper has been playing up!
Basically, it goes 1 wipe then stops, sometime on the other side or just one wipe then it parks up.
I do not plan on opening up the tailgate but will employ part of your great post but i am not electrically qualified or trained to do what you have done with the circuit board, but hey judging by the overwhelming gratitude displayed by fellow members, you must all be!! (No engineer jokes here! )

Thank you and I mean it, a big help would have been a link to "opening up the tailgate", but it must be difficult as there are so may different models concerned so I empathize greatly!!

So I end in saying a big thank you none the less! Surely my Girl has gone mad trying to find a cure, OR a new rear wiper as she has looked for a few hours and has been totally frustrated by the lack of info in general on the net and especially in the UK!

And to our American friends please stay as you are, great going thanks! we DO have friends, thank you !
PS and a big PS too, does anyone have the part number of the Grand Cherokee WJ 2003 2.7crd rear wiper motor? Any onfo much appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Stu

Last edited by stuartbeattie; 02-03-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: addition thanks
stuartbeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #88
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

I went to do this today, went to undo the nut for the wiper arm and snap goes the shaft. I busted that thing right off. Looks like im ordering a new one
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #89
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acc0919mc View Post
I went to do this today, went to undo the nut for the wiper arm and snap goes the shaft. I busted that thing right off. Looks like im ordering a new one
I had to order a new motor too, cause the old one was completely seized up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.