Save $ on rear wiper motor - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Save $ on rear wiper motor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #46
citRon
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome!! I just finished doing this to my junkyard replacement. Mine came from the PO with no rear wiper arm, but the nut that held it on was on the threaded end of the shaft- rusted on, on it snapped the end off. I didn't much care since it didn't work anyway. I thought a junkyard replacement would be all I needed...until I installed it and all it did was go 'click'.
Sucker was froze up solid. Followed the directions and BAM! Working rear wiper!
I got the motor and arm for $20 bucks, vs the $90 for a rebuilt one.

citRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #47
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

^^^ Lucky guy I tried that and ended up with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestjam View Post
Agreed.... very nice write up; however, my shaft was SO LOCKED UP, I split the pot metal shaft housing trying to get it out.

That bit** F***ing hated me!!!

Lets face it... sometimes it's easier to replace than repair
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #48
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomes512 View Post
Usually when I try to fix things and tear them apart they usually explode and tons of springs go shooting everywhere or things go nice ans smooth.
i know all about this... i once spent 4 hours looking for the hammer spring from my M1 Carbine one day
AmishFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #49
Jeepmom4

Great Information!! IT WORKED!!

My 2004 Gr. Cherokee had the rear wiper motor stop working, after working only when it seemed it wanted to. I found this post and followed the steps (mine is a little different motor) and there wasn't a real lot of rust in the shaft. Obviously, it was enough to cause an issue. I cleaned it out, greased it up good and rebuilt it and plugged the baby in and it worked!! The only problem I had was removing the solder. It wouldn't just release when heated up. I searched it online and found that I could use a desoldering braid (fine copper wire braided together). You just put solder gun on top of braid, heat to melt the original solder and pick up braid and gun at same time--orig. solder gets sucked up into braid! It's a pain, but it works. Also found out that should NOT use gun over 15 watts or take chance in doing damage to motherboard of motor. Cost to replace would have been $165, your way $15 for smaller solder gun!! Thanks!!!
Jeepmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #50
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Well, since I wasn't able to fix the old one, I just bought a new motor, arm and blade at Napa all for a painful $150. I gave them the old one for the core deposit back- they're gonna have a helluva time trying to fix that one.
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #51
billfish16

1997 ZJ 

Worked like charm. The shaft came out easy and it had very little visible markings on it. Thought maybe that my issue was different since everything looked good. Cleaned the shaft with steel wool, lubed it with Hoppe's Gun grease, only grease I had on hand, and put it back together and works as good as new.

Thanks again to the OP!

Bill
billfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #52
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Mine was slow when I bought the jeep - I gave it a "helping hand" when it got stuck until it would run slowly, but freely. Now I just run it for about ten minutes a day (wet or dry) and it seems to be back to normal. Suspect lack of use causes them to slow down, then sieze completely.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #53
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

i did this about a year ago and my shaft was seized and i had to use a torch to get it out. I got it and it worked for about a year then stopped
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #54
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

My problem isnt the rear wiper. I tried 2 motors. mine in my 5.9 and another reman one which i returned.. Turns out the motor works, the switch works as i tried mine in my 5.9, something between the switch and the motor is causing it to not work on my 4.0

I dunno what it is ?? Maybe its a grounding issue ?? The hatch glass window doesnt work either btw.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #55
flm

Excellent writeup. If the shaft is really stuck, instead of dumb hammering, give some heat to the housing with a small propane torch or hot air blower. Just a little is needed, because the aluminium housing and bronze bushings expand faster than the steel shaft. After heating it, dont mess up the plastic shaft cover at the outer end, because it gets really soft. Also use a hex nut to protect the threads, when hammering the end of the shaft. If using heat, very little force is needed to get it moving.
flm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #56
big_ang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have an XJ and although the process was a bit different (I had to drill out and tap 4 holes that hold a metal cover on), I have to say that this thread helped me save my seized motor. It works perfectly now.

Thanks!
Angelo
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 2dr, 4.0, Auto, NP231 4x4
1980 MGB - 3.4V6, T5 transmission, Ford 8.8 posi.
1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby - t-tops, 5 speed, 2.2 intercooled turbo
1993 Eagle Talon, daily driver - 5 speed, no turbo but I installed a turbo head - FOR SALE
big_ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #57
mr_spock

Hi - I just signed up to say thanks to the OP for this guide. I have a '98 UK model ZJ, and I ended up pressing out the shaft with my vice. Works beautifully now!

Ian
mr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #58
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

I know what tomorrow nights project is going to be...
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #59
fluffy2560
1997 ZJ 

Great fix for my rear wiper...

Used this fix on my Jeep GC 1997. Thanks to the original poster for the fix and instructions. Works great.
fluffy2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #60
Mity White 96
1996 ZJ 

Worked perfectly for me too!! THANKS!

As many have said before "Thanks to the original poster for the fix and instructions. Works great." I just used this fix on my Jeep GC 1996.

A few points I would add for those about to dive in:

- Beware on hammering the bare-ended shaft as the end is soft and the threads will get bunged up. If this happens (likely!) one solution is to use the original nut as a thread chaser. You have to take it slow and steady (on and off and on and off, etc.) but this happened to me and I used the nut to successfully chase the threads back into workable condition.

- Scribe/scratch a locating mark on the yellow plastic gear but don't use a magic marker. When you're working with the yellow gear you can easily and inadvertently wipe the magic marker off thus loosing your locating mark when you go to insert the gear back into the housing.

- If at first your repair doesn't seem to work, cycle and reset the newly stuck wiper (by leaving the switch for the rear wiper on and open and close the rear hatch- it will go back to the starting position) a few times to get the wiper out and back to it's proper resting place. Mine didn't work initially probably because the new grease was interfering with the electrical contact patch. Once you reset a few times the contacts have rubbed thru the new grease and electrical conductivity has been restored.
Mity White 96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.