Save $ on rear wiper motor - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Save $ on rear wiper motor

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #31
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomes512 View Post
Good to hear this is still helping some folks out.
I did this a year ago and it's still working great.

Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #32
IHATEU

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw8383 View Post
just pulls right off with some twisting and turning to get it at the right angle.

I just did this repair on mine today. As long as you follow this thread step by step you shouldn't have a problem. It was pretty easy actually. I don't know why but its not sitting in place properly so the seal isn't tight. Goes back and forth no problem but the motor is making a loud funny noise.
thanks boss.
IHATEU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #33
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Don't do like me. Thread the nut on the end of the shaft b4 you start whaling on it with the hammer and mushroom it just enough where the nut won't thread back on.
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #34
Codenamecody
1995 ZJ 

Seems like im having the same issue as some other people, I put the gear back in pretty close to where I took it out, not exactly in the same spot though cause I hooked the motor up to a power supply to make sure it worked. Now when I hook it up to the jeep, the motor turns all the way one direction as soon as I hook it up, even when there is no key in the ignition. After that it doesn't respond at all. I measured zero volts across the motor after it stopped, so at least it's not just sitting there burning out the motor. I am out of ideas now. My wiper worked before but was really slow and sometimes you had to help it for the first part to get it moving. So the board was good when I started, the motor is good, and the shaft is free to spin with minimal resistance.

To the OP: I assume from your post that you didn't put the gear in right the first time and had to find the right spot. If thats the case, what where the symptoms and how did you fix it?
Codenamecody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #35
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Codenamecody you are correct in your statement. Mine would stop midway through the sweep and then not return completely. It's been a while since I've had it out but I tried the align the pins with the beginning of the brass forward/reverse plate (I know that's a bad description). I took 3 tries in the cold weather before I said screw it and put the thing back in in another random position. Note each time I had to disassemble, unsolder, resolder, etc.

I got lucky in the end. Play around with it further and you'll eventually get it...

I wish you best of luck
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #36
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

how do you hook those cables from those window up to the motor?
blackwhiteriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #37
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

It's been so long... I think it was just a plug harness connector.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #38
MuddSlutt
2001 WJ 

nice write up... i bet it wouldnt hurt to do that even if it is working properly just to keep it maintained
MuddSlutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #39
prune1
1986 CJ7 

just did this today. works perfect. great write up man.
prune1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #40
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Can anybody give me some insight on what voltages should be on which terminal?
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #41
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Mine was so stuck in the shaft I smacked it with a hammer as hard as I could, and it wouldn't move a budge.
Compgeek789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #42
brntwood

is there a "circuit breaker" or something on the board??

Hi all.

OK - This looks like a very logical fix for my kids grand Cherokee. But his symptoms are slightly different than the ones folks are describing here (stops half way - won't return etc)....... When he turns the wiper on - the motor (tries) to run for 1/3 second or so - (with a click sound out of the motor) but the wiper only moves a VERY tiny amount (1/4" or so) Turn off the switch and try again - with the same very small movement and a click sound. My logic is that maybe the shaft is completely seized and a relay or "circuit breaker" is sensing the extra drag (from a seized shaft??) and then shutting down the motor. ????? Any thoughts from anyone??

I already pulled the motor assembly and removed the board etc. (but I stopped there...... and put it back together. (I tried to move the gear (very gently) to see if the motor (with the worm gear) would move---it did NOT! I'm guessing the shaft is seized and the board is "clicking" trying to move it. (whatcha's think?)

Thanks!
brntwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #43
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Why did you stop at the circuit board? That is what the procedure does: unsieze a siezed wiper motor.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
brntwood

Actually.... I did this all BEFORE I looked and saw this thread. (When I didn't see anything real obvious - I wanted to look and see (more information) BEFORE I started to monkey around (blind)
brntwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #45
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

I did that. It was too corroded to move out of the shaft. When it finally mushroomed, I was able to move it out by about 3mm every heavy strike with a hammer. I couldn't even move the gear left or right. So, $60 for a new one.
Compgeek789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.