Save $ on rear wiper motor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Save $ on rear wiper motor

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Good write up. I just completed this fix and my rear wiper works great. However, my shaft was so locked up I had to spray it with liquid wrench and let it sit a bit before I could break it free.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Aceladriver

Great writeup.

I did this motor repair a few weeks ago on a seized 96 flipglass hatch wiper motor but on mine the circuit board had a burn across it similar to that shown on the wiper module in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...99#post4368699

I soldered a piece of buss wire from terminal to terminal over the burnt section and it works fine now.

My motor was a hair worse than this one. The bushing at that bad section came out with the shaft and had to be separated once it was out. Luckily the end bushing will slide out through the inside bushing but you have to find just the right size tool to fit through the inside bushing to reseat the end bushing.
IIRC I might have had to remove the inner bushing to reseat the outer bushing correctly. Either way it's not a big deal, just another detail to look out for.

Last edited by Aceladriver; 10-30-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Aceladriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
Nabis
2004 WJ 

I know this thread is getting old, but last night I had finally had it with my "sometimes working" rear wiper on my 04 GC. Decided to browse a few threads on the subject, and came across this one and said, "what the hell, if it's broke, it's broke, so I can't break it any more". I was an inch away from ordering a refurb motor for about $100.
Long story short - Did what the pics and instructions told me to do, and I am ECSTATIC that my wiper works good as new!

THANKS GOMES512!! You just saved me $100!
Nabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
PJeep

You folks are awesome !! My wiper motor siezed on me. Stealership wanted $250 for a new assembly. I used these instructions, now it works as good as new!!

This is the best Jeep site !!
PJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
EngineerJoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have one of Jeeps newest revisions of this motor (xxxxxxxxAG) on an '04 and I took it apart yesterday/today. The shaft is now no longer ceased, BUT the motor spins the gear to the home position, (or to the far side of the glass position, on the passenger side), but doesn't continue. Thoughts?
EngineerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #21
dfloyd
1999 WJ 

Real good work on this write up!

Damn my attention deficit dis....... ooohh shiny!
dfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #22
Aceladriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
I have one of Jeeps newest revisions of this motor (xxxxxxxxAG) on an '04 and I took it apart yesterday/today. The shaft is now no longer ceased, BUT the motor spins the gear to the home position, (or to the far side of the glass position, on the passenger side), but doesn't continue. Thoughts?
Are you sure you oriented the gear correctly when you put it back together?

If you did and that isn't the problem, I'd take a real close look at the circuit board. I didn't see anyone else mention it but in addition to seizing - mine burnt through a tracer (if that's the right name) on my board.

Would have been a bit hard to repair the actual burn as it was very small and in close proximity to other traces. I took a bit of buss wire (any fine wire will do) and soldered it between the two raised solder joints that the trace ran between. Works fine now.

BTW - which kind of Engineer are you, the pen/paper CAD/CAM kind - or my kind? :-)
Unread 10-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
EngineerJoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceladriver View Post
Are you sure you oriented the gear correctly when you put it back together?
Yeah, pretty sure. The gear has ribs on the back (the side without the metal plate), and those ribs prevent the gear from seating outside its range of motion. Because the gear is within the range of motion (somewhere in the middle), when I plug it back in, it rotates to one side and stays there. If it's electrical, I'll buy a used motor from a junk yard and rebuild that unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceladriver View Post
BTW - which kind of Engineer are you, the pen/paper CAD/CAM kind - or my kind? :-)
Mechanical. More specifically I'm the educated type (College AND University) and I'm the hands-on type (While in university, other than drinking, I'd maintain crazy **** like a custom made hot-tub in a gutted '79 Impala w/ no roof, and the other members of my team maintained a single-cylinder engine bolted to a shopping cart). I've been dubbed a "short-sleeve" engineer and right now I'm trying to get into the diesel industry since that's what I'd LOVE to do.
EngineerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #24
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

i'll have to do this next weekend! Thanks!
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #25
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

ok, so it didn't work for me. Probably is the motor or circuit board like mentioned above. But i didn't see anything that looked abnormal, so is there anything else i should try before buying a new motor?
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #26
TORMULA
2000 WJ 

Followed these instructions for my 2000 WJ yesterday.

It a different motor but apply some common sense and it'll work out OK.

Hasnt stoped rain all day today and the wiper has been 100% fine. Thanks for excellent instructions.
TORMULA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
outlaw8383
2004 WJ 

Im going to probably do this today after school ! mine works sometimes and other times it just stops halfway or so. Hopfully it works for me too !
outlaw8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #28
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

If your sure you repositioned the gear exacly the same way it came out and you resoldered the contacts well enough then I would check to see if your actually getting power to the motor.

Good to hear this is still helping some folks out.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
IHATEU

i think i'm going to try this on my girls liberty, do i need any special tools to get the wiper arm off or dose it just pull off?
IHATEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #30
outlaw8383
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEU View Post
i think I'm going to try this on my girls liberty, do i need any special tools to get the wiper arm off or dose it just pull off?
just pulls right off with some twisting and turning to get it at the right angle.

I just did this repair on mine today. As long as you follow this thread step by step you shouldn't have a problem. It was pretty easy actually. I don't know why but its not sitting in place properly so the seal isn't tight. Goes back and forth no problem but the motor is making a loud funny noise.
outlaw8383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.