saginaw tc style pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > saginaw tc style pump

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

saginaw tc style pump

I think this is style pump we have on our jeeps. Information is very scarce on the internal parts for these. Reason I bring it up is I found a really good deal on a WJ pwr strg pump,mopar, brand new. I have both style jeeps, zj and wj.

Only visual differences are the location of the return nipple and the pulley is slightly larger. I believe shaft length is the same. The wj uses a completely different box in combination with the larger pulley MIGHT operate at a different pressure. Pressure is governed by the springs and valve and other pieces housed under the nut where the pressure line screws in. Uniblurb had mentioned how hash marks on the nut were an indicative of the pressure setting. I believe they are the same number of marks.

Whole point to this is, it would be good if I could have a pump assembly that would work on both vehicles. Has anyone ever had the pressure valve assembly out of the pump, and could you just switch the valve assembly out to make the pump work on either jeep?

Unread 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

Hope you are referencing this pump?

I'll just point out one random thought. A super high pressure pump with no flow isn't gonna work well on a hydro type steering, (WJ). The right combination is lots of flow with pressure that comes on quick. I believe a modified TC pump would be better off. Keep in mind that everyone seems to be getting into trouble when they put a high volume pump onto a stock steering box.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I may just not know what I'm talking about. But hydro means a cylinder assist? As far as I know they both just have regular power steering, with the standard pumps.
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Coral, some guys are swapping the WJ V8 pumps into their XJ/ZJ's.. does this link help you any?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103429
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the link Overland but its kinda not what I'm wondering. I'm talking I6 zj to I6wj. I think the zj pulley will fit on the wj pump which I want to buy. If the only difference is the restrictor assembly I was wondering if by swapping the zj restrictor to the wj pump{ if mine went bad on the zj} would it work. My wj does not have the hydraulic cooling fan. So if the wj pump went out I would just use the pump as is. If the zj pump went out swap the restrictor into the wj pump with the zj pulley. I know its confusing.
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Well I'll find out later, the pumps worth getting anyways.
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I may just not know what I'm talking about. But hydro means a cylinder assist? As far as I know they both just have regular power steering, with the standard pumps.
And I just rambled about nothing early , as I saw this during my 30 minute lunch. I do believe they are interchangeable, with just a modified reservoir. (ie, extra line or something)
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.