Saggy/boat feeling in my ZJ. shock/springs upgrade? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Saggy/boat feeling in my ZJ. shock/springs upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I just replaced the whole arm with moogs from rock auto. The uppers are a bit different in the front since the bushing is in the axle. They don't see nearly as much stress as the lowers do though.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Can you away with replacing one rear arm at a time or should both be done?
Mike-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-W View Post
Can you away with replacing one rear arm at a time or should both be done?
Do them one at a time but both in the same day. No sense in having the new bushing take all the load from the sloppy old ones. You will just wear it out faster.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Ok so going to change the lower rear control arms, can I just un bolt they or do I need to support / jack anything?
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Got the old one off but can't get the bolt to align on the new one is out by a few mill, is there any tricks or suggestions any can offer?
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Put I screw driver through the holes and muscle it into place

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Got the old one off but can't get the bolt to align on the new one is out by a few mill, is there any tricks or suggestions any can offer?
Very confused as to how a control arm bushing effects height for a spring , maybe this can be better explained cause , I wanna hear it !

That don't mean they are good , I replace them all the time on any ZJ I buy . I just don't see what this has to do with height .

If you were parked on level ground doing those measurements , you have a weak sagged spring . 18" fender to hub is the stock starting point except UC which can be over 1" more , suppose to be 19" . Double check your measurement in different parking spaces

Cheap fix , toss a 1" spacer on the spring .
Best fix , replace springs with new

For a no boaty feeling replace the sway bar frame bushings minimum ever 2 years , front and rear . IMO , it's the most abused bushing on the whole jeep . If you really want it gone , buy a rear Adcco sway bar
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Ok so going to change the lower rear control arms, can I just un bolt they or do I need to support / jack anything?
You don't need to raise anything, but chock the front and rear wheels(on both sides) to keep your axle from moving on you.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.