a sad day in the life of a young jeeper - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > a sad day in the life of a young jeeper

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post

i am pretty sure the key will turn to off in neutral as well.
My 95 does, I do that when I pull in my drive way sometimes just for the hella it. Thats going 10-20mph. But it does turn off in nuetral.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Im talking off as in you can pull the key out. On mine you can only pull the key out in park
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
Im talking off as in you can pull the key out. On mine you can only pull the key out in park
Same with mine. Makes sense. I'm sure the manufacturers thought of this to avoid potential liability. There's a position between the "steering wheel lock" (when you can remove the key) and "ignition on" position.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

sucks that you wrecked, but i have had it happen to mine before. luckily, it was at the shop i have at work. it would idle at around 2500 rpm's no matter what i did. i unhooked the battery for a few hours and it reset the computer, never had a problem with it again
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My key does come out in neutral however I can't put it in park unless the ignition in on.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
how would the TPS do that? it just tells the computer the throttle position. the actual throttle lever on the throttle body is controled by a cable to the pedal
The internal plastic could fail while at WOT which would cause the t/b to get stuck open.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
nope only in park. at least thats how mine is, just tried it. try on yours and see.

I've turned my 5.9 off plenty of times in neutral while rolling on the road... and I can pull my key right out with the engine running no matter what position my lever is in...

Either your Jeep is broken somewhere... or mine is.. Im leaning to your Jeep... That makes no sense how you can turn the Jeep off when driving and only in park.. lol
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

You ever had a key so worn out you can start someone else's vehicle? Happened to me a few years ago lol. I was able to unlock someone else's door and start it with my key lol.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #24
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
I've turned my 5.9 off plenty of times in neutral while rolling on the road... and I can pull my key right out with the engine running no matter what position my lever is in...

Either your Jeep is broken somewhere... or mine is.. Im leaning to your Jeep... That makes no sense how you can turn the Jeep off when driving and only in park.. lol
Your jeep is broken. You should never be able to pull a key out in any position other than off/steering wheel locked.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
how would the TPS do that? it just tells the computer the throttle position. the actual throttle lever on the throttle body is controled by a cable to the pedal
Sensor was installed incorrectly and something broke and held the throttle open.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my guess was sensor. it was a stock sensor and my jeep had almost 210k on it so im sure it was ready to go. well on the plus side i found another,. the v8 i was looking at got sold moments before i got to the guys house. so i looked again and found a 96 4.0 selec-trac with 170k green laredo damn near mint in and out. im working with the guy and ive got him down to $1000 so far but i might be able to get it for lower. he wants it gone. it was his sons and he paid 3k for it 6 months ago plus 600 to get a new fuel pump installed. so i think im getting the better end of this deal so far
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDaddy1993 View Post
my guess was sensor. it was a stock sensor and my jeep had almost 210k on it so im sure it was ready to go. well on the plus side i found another,. the v8 i was looking at got sold moments before i got to the guys house. so i looked again and found a 96 4.0 selec-trac with 170k green laredo damn near mint in and out. im working with the guy and ive got him down to $1000 so far but i might be able to get it for lower. he wants it gone. it was his sons and he paid 3k for it 6 months ago plus 600 to get a new fuel pump installed. so i think im getting the better end of this deal so far
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, make sure to post pics of the new rig no matter what you go with.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.