a sad day in the life of a young jeeper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > a sad day in the life of a young jeeper

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

a sad day in the life of a young jeeper

Well today i was driving after dropping my girlfriend off her Debit card while she was at work. My throttle stuck and i couldnt get it to slow down fast enough and slammed into a concrete barrier my frames mangled up front on the passenger side. I fear that there may be no hope for my beloved jeep but im gonna see if it can be stretched back. If not i guess its round 2 of jeep searching

JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

1st off im glad youre ok, but why the hell wouldnt you just turn the key off to cut the motor?
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Treleaven
1997 ZJ 

Also glad to hear your okay. Has anyone else experienced a stuck throttle in there ZJ before? I have never heard of that happening before so far.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
93zjlimited
1993 ZJ 

Glad that you're ok. Today mine stuck for a split second because its so worn out the plastic sleeve caught on something. No matter what your driving if it ever happens again, don't panic and just pop it into neutral and turn the key off. A serious injury or a life is worth more than a motor.
93zjlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

DO NOT TURN THE KEY ALL THE WAY OFF!!! THE STEERING WHEEL WILL LOCK AND YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE WILL DIE!!!

Okay, maybe no one will die but just go back one click on the ignition switch to kill the engine. Don't forget if the engine is not running the power brakes and power steering are no longer working. You can still steer and brake but it will be tougher.
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Dang that really sucks man! Sorry to hear that.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I had my first Jeep in high school and drove it for years. The Transmission went out, I fixed it. Then the CPS went out and it sat for 6 months while I dicked with it to figure out what was wrong with it. I fixed it. Then it was running great and I dumped a bunch more money in it. Then drove it into a frozen pond and drowned it. Fixed it. Then Build bumpers for it and again, dumped a bunch more money in it. A week later I T-boned a guy in which I totaled it.

I now have a better more capable jeep. I learned A LOT from the entire thing and my current jeep is way more *****in than the old one was.

So-

At least youre safe.
And
Your next rig will most likely be more badass than this one was.

Still sucks though chief..
At least youre safe

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
DO NOT TURN THE KEY ALL THE WAY OFF!!! THE STEERING WHEEL WILL LOCK AND YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE WILL DIE!!!

Okay, maybe no one will die but just go back one click on the ignition switch to kill the engine. Don't forget if the engine is not running the power brakes and power steering are no longer working. You can still steer and brake but it will be tougher.

Not completely true.... when you kill the key completely you will not lose power brakes completely, they run off vaccuum/psi when you kill the power you normally have one full pump of your pedal assisted before you lose air in your brake booster, but enough to stop you quickly unless you are doing 90.

to the OP glad to hear you are ok and able to come on and post about it, if you have/had any money in the jeep pull off the good stuff and find another with the insurance $$..... its not worth trying to straighten a frame out especially on a unibody like a ZJ, if it was a full framed vehicle yea go ahead and just box the section in, but i wouldnt trust it with a unibody vehicle. good luck man
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post

the key wont turn all the way back even if you tried. The trans has to be in park for it to release the key.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Buying another this weekend same year color motor and less miles and swapping everything i want out from the old one. Its a very rough loss on my first jeep that i bought and put all of my blood sweat and tears into its like losing a family member yah know
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDaddy1993 View Post
Buying another this weekend same year color motor and less miles and swapping everything i want out from the old one. Its a very rough loss on my first jeep that i bought and put all of my blood sweat and tears into its like losing a family member yah know
I know exactly. You will have a **** ton of extra parts though..

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

I had the TPS fail on my 5.9 on the highway once. Made the engine run at WOT. Made life interesting as it quickly approached 100mph. Threw it in neutral and pulled off as quick as I could. The rev limiter should protect the motor long enough to get off the road and shut it down without any damage. Glad to hear you are ok. Lesson learned and you lived to tell your tale.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfootny View Post
I had the TPS fail on my 5.9 on the highway once. Made the engine run at WOT. Made life interesting as it quickly approached 100mph. Threw it in neutral and pulled off as quick as I could. The rev limiter should protect the motor long enough to get off the road and shut it down without any damage. Glad to hear you are ok. Lesson learned and you lived to tell your tale.
how would the TPS do that? it just tells the computer the throttle position. the actual throttle lever on the throttle body is controled by a cable to the pedal
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
the key wont turn all the way back even if you tried. The trans has to be in park for it to release the key.
i am pretty sure the key will turn to off in neutral as well.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
i am pretty sure the key will turn to off in neutral as well.
nope only in park. at least thats how mine is, just tried it. try on yours and see.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.