Rusty's tow hook kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rusty's tow hook kit

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiFree shipping on slip yoke eliminator kits New lower PriceNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #1
zjmaster

Rusty's tow hook kit

Hi all, this is my first post here. Has anyone installed the tow hook kit from Rustys offroad on their zj? I have a 95 and the front bumper is part of the uniframe. In their instructions they say the bumper bolts on, so their kit will not mount on my zj as they say. I was hoping to get these installed this weekend with a long list of other mods . In two weeks we are off to play in Moab in the GSW group. Thanks

zjmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I installed a set many years ago. No problems on a 94.

Some of the supplied bolts were a bit long is all I remember.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #3
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Why not hit the junkyard and pull a set of factory tow hooks? That's what I did. Cost me $12, plus some elbow grease and a little time. The Rusty's hooks appear to be about identical and clearly bolt up to the same holes in the frame.
Unread Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you got the right ones they are the same design as the stock ones. Should be pretty easy. You need to remove the bumper cladding which is what they mean in the instructions when they say remove bumper but retain bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #5
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Does anyone know what the factory bolt sizes would be? Just in case i see some when im in the JY
tjcustomranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:01 AM   #6
zjmaster

Thanks for the responses, with the cladding removed I see no holes to bolt them to. maybe I'm not seeing it right.
zjmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:06 AM   #7
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjmaster
Thanks for the responses, with the cladding removed I see no holes to bolt them to. maybe I'm not seeing it right.
Look in the 2 frame rails
Unread Today, 07:59 AM   #8
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

IIRC the bolt heads were 3/4" but they could have been 15-18mm. Bring a bunch of stuff in that size range. And penetrating oil. I twisted the heads off four of 10 bolts when I was pulling mine.
Unread Today, 08:31 AM   #9
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
IIRC the bolt heads were 3/4" but they could have been 15-18mm. Bring a bunch of stuff in that size range. And penetrating oil. I twisted the heads off four of 10 bolts when I was pulling mine.

Thanks
tjcustomranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.