Rusty bolt, broken extractor fun - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rusty bolt, broken extractor fun

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Rusty bolt, broken extractor fun

Hey guys in removing the rusty, broken bolt for one of the skid plate/hitch bolts, decided to use a Snap-On extractor. Well, it broke off in there. Sheared clean off.

Thinking about using a dremel to get through the extractor, will these bits work ?
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I feel for ya man . I had to do this yesterday . Only difference was I had to take it off my parts jeep . I took an air chisel to the frame and got a wrench on the nut . I tried saw zaw , jig saw , and nothing I had worked . Thought about the dremmel but been putting it off for years . I wish you luck , that was a PITA even doing it my way .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Well theres nothing for me to get a wrench onto haha. Yeah I think it will take some time and the work on this jeep has been slowish and been going on for a bit...Thisll be my daily once done..Cant wait to drive it and not my sisters car.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Here's my hack job and a pic for you to see what's inside . Not recommended , this jeep is going to the grave
dsc06255.jpg

Unread 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Newfie, not to steal the thread but what year is the ZJ wanna pull the o2s off???? i need both for my 98 4.0

I had to cut the subframe on mine after i snapped 3 of the 4 trans studs. and honestly as long as you dont cut right corners, make the corners rounded I never had any problems with the area and beat on it a lot
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ
Here's my hack job and a pic for you to see what's inside . Not recommended , this jeep is going to the grave
Remove the bumper, cut the bolt flush to the lip on the frame, then grind the lip off (easy on the grinder). Punch the bolts out. Easy-peasy.
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold

remove the bumper, cut the bolt flush to the lip on the frame, then grind the lip off (easy on the grinder). Punch the bolts out. Easy-peasy.

image-3807736014.jpg
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
Hey guys in removing the rusty, broken bolt for one of the skid plate/hitch bolts, decided to use a Snap-On extractor. Well, it broke off in there. Sheared clean off.

Thinking about using a dremel to get through the extractor, will these bits work ?
No, bolt extractors are hardened steel and I haven't found any drill bits that will cut through them. What you can use are these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-9910-Tu...carbide+cutter

I've used these before to remove extractors, taps, and hardened steel roll pins back in the day when I had less patience. Do not break a tungsten cutter off in the hole or your day is done. Any of the small tapered bits will work.

If you have to remove a broken bolt use these:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-...3&blockType=G3

The straight flutes don't twist in like the spiral flutes so they don't expand the bolt and jam it in there even tighter. They also will generally slip before they break. They are tapered so each time they slip they ream a little more of the hole for the next grip so they grip tighter the next time. I've never had one of these fail to remove a stuck bolt or break on me. I've even used one to remove a bolt where the hole I drilled wandered into the parent metal: didn't matter to these guys. Just drill the biggest hole you can without cutting into the parent metal and lightly tap the extractor in to get started.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
Newfie, not to steal the thread but what year is the ZJ wanna pull the o2s off???? i need both for my 98 4.0
There was only the upstream left , down was gone , just like the muffler and cat . That was one loud 5.9 . I can't guarantee anything was even good or you could have that one , plus I'd have to make sure it was compatible with the 4.0.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
No, bolt extractors are hardened steel and I haven't found any drill bits that will cut through them. What you can use are these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-9910-Tu...carbide+cutter

I've used these before to remove extractors, taps, and hardened steel roll pins back in the day when I had less patience. Do not break a tungsten cutter off in the hole or your day is done. Any of the small tapered bits will work.

If you have to remove a broken bolt use these:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc-...3&blockType=G3
You've broken the bolt, and the extractor; given the nature of the beast I would think that you'll break these too.

Grind the bolts flush, a couple of knocks with a punch and the bracket slides right out. But, then you have to remove the rest of the bolts from the bracket. I did this by heating the nuts on the bracket until they were red, then removed the bolts with vice-grips(I'll post a pic from my phone).
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold

you've broken the bolt, and the extractor; given the nature of the beast i would think that you'll break these too.

Grind the bolts flush, a couple of knocks with a punch and the bracket slides right out. But, then you have to remove the rest of the bolts from the bracket. I did this by heating the nuts on the bracket until they were red, then removed the bolts with vice-grips(i'll post a pic from my phone).

image-678822532.jpg

image-1520969615.jpg
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Not sure exactly how id be able to grind the bolts -- Theyre in the frame/ part of the hitch/skid plate tank. The bolt is down in the hole of where it screws into.
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

edit: clicked once yet it uploaded twice. Gah this is annoying on here to upload images and takes awhile on my connection...
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Take the bumper off and remove the bracket these nuts are welded to . Do like zarnold did

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.