rusted out freeze plugs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Stuart
2005 KJ Liberty 

rusted out freeze plugs

This could be caused by my own negligence, but before take it in to have the work done; I figured I'd run this question past you people.

My GC has 175,000 miles on it, about 3 years ago, or 40,000 miles ago, after a lot of highway miles towing a travel trailer, I blew out some freeze plugs, they were rusted out, I took it in, had them pull the transmission, and replace all the freeze plugs in the block and put in a new water pump. Problem solved, or so I thought.

When the freeze plugs blew the first time, I was way up a mountain, with a trailer, and I had to do a "quick fix" to get it home, I did a couple of temporary plugs as best I could, and dumped in a whole bunch of bar's leak to get it home, when the soft plugs were replaced, they supposedly flushed out the radiator, and the car s4eemd to run fine after that, other then the temperature seemed to run just a tad higher then it used to, but maybe 5 or 10 degrees at most.

About 2 months ago, I took a trip out of town, again pulling the trailer, and on the way home, while going over the mountain, it over heated and blew the lower radiator hose, I replaced the house, as well as the radiator, and a new 190 degree thermostat, the temperature now runs normal, just like it used to when I first bought the car a few years ago.

Now comes the freeze plug problem again, when I replaced the radiator and thermostat, I thought that I could run some chemical engine flush through the system, and I ran the flush for the recommended 6 hours before completely flushing the system again, and putting the coolant back in it, after the flush, I lost 4 more freeze plugs, I notice a lot of rust in the cooling system, and am now looking at having the trany pulled again and having all the freeze plugs replaced for a second time.

Could there be something else wrong with this motor? (318 (5.2 liter) or could this be caused by my own negligence? I was real bad about changing the coolant when I should have changed it which is what I thought led to the rusty cooling system, but could the rust be caused by something else? Bad head gasket? Cracked head? Maybe a problem so small that it's hard to track down? The engine runs great, and I have no other problems with it, it absolutely does not sound like it has as many miles on it as it does, and almost all the miles that are on it have been accumulated while pulling a travel trailer on the highway.

What are your thoughts on the rust?

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo
with a 5.2 It's All stock
and all RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Cowpie1975
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you ever figure it out?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

The radiator cap is designed to vent overpressure. Maybe there is an obstruction.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

did anyone notice this is a 3 year old thread?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 AM
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

i thought that too!

on a related note, i have noticed mine leaking too, does this scream engine rebuild to anyone else? mine are leaking due to corosion rather than rust, but the thing has almost 180k miles on it. im thinking it is a good excuse to throw a 5.9 block in the thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sacramento Alumni. ASE A6, A8, and L1 Certified. CA Smog License.
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 4x4, IRO 3.5" lift, Spidertrax adapters, 32" BFG M/T's on 17" cragar soft 8's, Flowmaster muffler.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 AM
jimebeans
1998 ZJ 

im rolling over 160K in about a month, ive been doing a lot of work on the 9, and i know i need a new oil pan gasket. it seeps a little, no major drips that i can tell. but, i notice a few of my freeze plugs look "damp" not sure if its oil spraying up on them, or if they are seeping too. i dont notice any rust, at least nothing of concern on them. anyone got a pic of a "bad" freeze plug? or would it just be good practice to replace them anyways? anyone know of a good right up? how hard is it to change them out and back in? TIA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.