Rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rust

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
ZJ-Soldier
1998 ZJ 

Rust

Im working on installing my 4.5 inch IRO lift and i got the entire front end taken apart except for where the trac bar bolts to the axle, the bolt will not come out. i have soaked it w penetrating oil and used a impact wrench and it will only move about an eighth of a turn either way then stops. i dont know what to do at this point, any ideas? im also having the same problem w the lugs on the back tires, they wont budge even w an impact wrench. please help

ZJ-Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It's siezed in the bushing. The same thing happened to mine, I had to cut it. And since it goes all the way through the bracket and bushing, unless you can break the head off of it (like I was lucky enough to do) you have to cut it on both sides, between the track bar and the bracket. That way once you cut it you can just pull the track bar right out with the bolt still inside of it.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
StuntmanRyan
1994 ZJ 

get an impact with more nut or put a bigger wrench on that sucker and do it by hand same with the wheels..
StuntmanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Heat it. You'd be amazed how big of a difference heat will make. Heat it, cool it with PB blaster, heat it again, hit with PB blaster, then heat it once more. Does wonders for bolts seized inside bushings and just plain stubborn bolts.
Unread 11-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
Heat it. You'd be amazed how big of a difference heat will make. Heat it, cool it with PB blaster, heat it again, hit with PB blaster, then heat it once more. Does wonders for bolts seized inside bushings and just plain stubborn bolts.
10/4 on the heat!!!! boy i am i glad i own a torch.
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
ZJ-Soldier
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
It's siezed in the bushing. The same thing happened to mine, I had to cut it. And since it goes all the way through the bracket and bushing, unless you can break the head off of it (like I was lucky enough to do) you have to cut it on both sides, between the track bar and the bracket. That way once you cut it you can just pull the track bar right out with the bolt still inside of it.
Thats exactly what it was, i got a angle grinder out and cut the bar in half, the unibody side came right off with the bracket but the axle end didnt, luckily the nut on the back broke off the bolt and then i just grinded the head off and it came out, so that wasnt too bad. but hopefully the smoke wrench will do the job for the lugs tomorrow. thanks guys
ZJ-Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.