runs rough then stops wtf - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > runs rough then stops wtf

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
tylerlinn09

runs rough then stops wtf

I have a 95 zj grand Cherokee larado I just had it in the shop cuz it was not running worth a crap the did there thing and told me the distributer was bad so they replaced it I got it home and after it sat over night I want to go leave for work the next morning ans it seemed to start fine but when i put it in gear and hit the pedal it just fell on it's face as in it was roughing rough bouncing jerking sputtering and backfires but if i let it sit and run it runs fine then after like 15 Mins of just sitting there running I can shut the jeep off turn it back on and it will drive just fine if anyone has any thoughts or questions cuz i Probly worded this in the wrong way but would be happy to cleaeify if needed just let me know what u think thank you

tylerlinn09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

When was the last tune up ? ie : plugs, wires ,distributor cap and rotor . Fuel filter ?

BTW , never heard of a bad dizzy on a jeep yet . Think twice before heading back somewhere that doesn't know anything about jeeps
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
tylerlinn09

The plugs and everything was changed whembi took it to the shop cuz it wasn't running at all
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
tylerlinn09

The plugs and everything was changed whembi took it to the shop cuz it wasn't running at all
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

1. check for correct firing order
2. do you have a check engine light?
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Jjmx11

Sounds like what happened to me. My 98 zj is fuel injected and I did some research and come to find out it came down to two things. There is two screws on the front of my computer that was causing it to ground out. To fix that you just place one small washer on each screw. And the other thing I replaced was my crank sensor. And I haven't had another problem out of it at all.
Jjmx11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Do you have 1 or 2 02 sensors on the 95 . I read you tried one but , wasn't specific on which if 2 .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Clean IAC?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmx11 View Post
There is two screws on the front of my computer that was causing it to ground out.
I'm not trying to be mean, just don't want someone to read this and think they can fix their Jeep in the same manner. This is a placebo fix. If the screws you took out were about 1/2 long (that's what comes from the factory), they screw into a plastic block about one inch thick. There's nothing there to short to. If you ever take one apart, you will see what I mean.

The reason people mistake the screws for something that is causing a problem is that when you disturb the harnesses, you cause an intermittent connection in the harness connector or solder joints inside the PCM to have a better connection.

There is a temp fix that sometimes produces the same results as moving the screws. It involves using zip ties around the connectors. This has worked for a lot of people.

So, the crank sensor apparently fixed your vehicle and you may have a pending problem with your PCM.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

OP, did you check o2 sensor wiring or disconnect o2 sensor?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Do you have 1 or 2 02 sensors on the 95 . I read you tried one but , wasn't specific on which if 2 .
1 02 with the 93-95 OBD1
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
tylerlinn09

The firing order is correct and it has one o2 sensor I unplugged and it didn't make a difference at all the check engine light is on CIA I unplugged the o2 sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.