Running Water Behind the Dashbord - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running Water Behind the Dashbord

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
pages007

Running Water Behind the Dashbord

So this all started a few weeks ago and i think i know what it is just not sure how to fix it. Whenever i accelerate or turn to either direction i hear the sound of running water coming from behind my dashboard on the passenger side. I have checked the radiator level multiple time at all different temperatures.... filled the overflow bottle, squeezed the heater core lines to force out any air........... and every other "trick" Jeep can come up with. I need real advice.

pages007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

First off we need to know the make and year so we can help. If it is ZJ welcome to the the great waterfall "whoosh" family Perfectly normal in the 5.2L especially.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
pages007

Quote:
Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
First off we need to know the make and year so we can help. If it is ZJ welcome to the the great waterfall "whoosh" family Perfectly normal in the 5.2L especially.
LOL i'm sorry.. its a 95 ZJ with 4.0 and A/T
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
lma1973

I had this too. Air is somehow getting into your cooling system. Mine was a leaky heater core hose. I replaced it and still got the waterfall gurgling sound. Make sure to run your heater on the highest temp at full blast to circulate the water through the heater core and hopefully get the air out of the system. That got rid of my problem.

Also you could have a blown head gasket.
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
pages007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973 View Post
I had this too. Air is somehow getting into your cooling system. Mine was a leaky heater core hose. I replaced it and still got the waterfall gurgling sound. Make sure to run your heater on the highest temp at full blast to circulate the water through the heater core and hopefully get the air out of the system. That got rid of my problem.

Also you could have a blown head gasket.
havent been able to find any leaky hoses.. been over it with a fine tooth comb.... I ran it with cap off for over an hour both at idle and at about 1.5k RPM trying to get the air out of it.. the core hoses do not feel like they have much water in them which is what i suspect is the issue and the water sound but i cannot get them to prime i guess.radiator stays full and no air seems to be coming out when i squeeze them.

also no overheat issues ever... runs stable no idle misses no water in the oil or vis verse...... i have a feeling its water running in and out of the heater core just dont know how to make it stop.. i hate noises in my jeep :P
Unread 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

if you don't have any leaks just drive it around for a few days. For me the air worked its way out on its own due to the expansion caused by the heating cycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Jubei

I have the same exact problem during the same times, I KNOW for a fact I dont have a leak. I did however change the radiator a few months ago and because its my Wife's ZJ I cant really pin point a time when this all started but because its the only major job Ive accomplished that involves air maybe getting entrapped Im going to have to say this is it. If and when you find a fix please let me know, but I do however know this is NOT normal because its never did this before.
Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

another possible idea to get the air out is get a venting radiator cap. When the engine is hot and up to pressure lift the handle on the cap and let the air out. when the engine cools it will suck coolant back in.

the venting radiator cap is called a pressure release cap and looks like this

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

It might just be the normal heater sound. The mechanic at the shop said it is just the sound of water in the heater core or something like that for the heat.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
20jeepwj00
2000 WJ 

The cooling system deffinetly has air in it,the 4.0 sometimes hold an air pocket in the front of the engine due to the angle the engine is mounted,use a funnel that attaches to the top of the radiator,(about $15 at parts store)keep it about half full and run the engine at idle for a few minutes,then around 2500 rpm for a few minutes,do this cycle a couple times and you will see the air bubble up through the funnel.shut it off,let it sit a few minutes abd remove the funnel,top off the coolant and you should be all set.the noise is caused from air circulating through the heater core.
20jeepwj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
pages007

Thanks for the tips .. i decided to do the extreme this weekend so i found the steepest hill i could find and parked on it and opened up the radiator cap with the engine running.. had a huge bubble come out and some fluid :P then i backed down on level ground and topped it off.. haven't had it since but if it persists ill try the funnel idea. Oh and i have a vented cap thanks anyways though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.