Running Very poorly 94 Cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running Very poorly 94 Cherokee

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
tcanthonyii

Oldfrog -- Other jeep tested fine so I know my gauge is working.

I can say for certain no lines are leaking and they aren't smashed flat. There's voltage to the pump, however I'm not sure how much. It did have to run somewhat to fill the filter and start the truck. I'll test voltage tomorrow then work on dropping the tank.

Which leads me to my next question. Buddy says I don't have to drop the tank. From what I"m seeing I'll have to drop it. Can anyone confirm or deny?

tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Mine is a 97 and the pump is in the tank. Not all are in the tank.

Before you go dropping the tank, crawl under there and check the wiring in and around the tank. You might get lucky and find something frayed or loose.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
tcanthonyii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Mine is a 97 and the pump is in the tank. Not all are in the tank.

Before you go dropping the tank, crawl under there and check the wiring in and around the tank. You might get lucky and find something frayed or loose.
Yea I did already. No such luck
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

High revs won't happen if there's no air. It sounds as though you have a massive vacuum leak, in addition to a possible fuel issue.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

They're all fuel pump in the tank and the only way to avoid dropping the tank is to cut a hole in the cargo floor.

An important part of a fuel pump change is having the tank out so you can drain any debris or sediment in the bottom.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
tcanthonyii

Well that's what I thought and from looking at it that's what it looked like. he was saying on his cherokee's the pump is situated though that he can just pull it out. I was calling a bs flag on him last last night. Looks like i'll be dropping a very full tank here the next couple of days.
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Today is the time to start applying penetrating oil to the tank strap bolts.

Tip- You don't have to fully remove the strap nuts. Top of the strap bolt slides into a T slot on the body. So if you loosen the nut a half inch or so, the top of the bolt can be slipped out of the slot. If your strap bolts are as corroded as my local ZJs this is a valuable tip.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
tcanthonyii

Ok. So the pump officially has 20 miles on it. I looked today. The place that put it in is going to warranty it since I have the receipt from the PO. Just have to pay labor. Will be about 135 bucks. I did some more checks today just to verify. While running i pulled the return hose off the rail no fuel whatsoever running through it. Pinched off the line per the manual no raising of fuel pressure. Pulled the fuel lines off and blew air through them. They were clear. Left the pressure gauge on the rail and put air through the rail. At 30 ish psi the fuel regulator opened up. (I'm positive my gauge is off about 5-10 psi. It ALWAYS reads low. I even hooked the gauge up directly to the fuel line.

So now the question is did the Jeep get a faulty pump? (Was replaced with an OEM pump not a parts store pump. So I was told). Did it get installed wrong? Was there sediment in the tank blocking off the new pump and the shop didn't clean it out? I'm directing them specifically to dump the entire tank that's in it and clean it while they have the tank off. (They will not let me do the part myself. Guess they have to make money somehow). So Tuesday it will go see the doctor. I'll report back then.

T.C.
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
tcanthonyii

One more update before Tuesday. Ran into the couple I got the Jeep from as they were going to a garage sale at the neighbors. They asked if I had gotten it fixed yet. Told them about the fuel pump. They said it did never run right after the fuel pump was put in . This really makes me feel good as I know for sure I'm on the right track now.

Thanks for all the help guys.

T.C.
Unread 07-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
tcanthonyii

Stopped in the shop the last 2 days. They finally got it in after showed up today. Called me a little bit later and said it was for sure the fuel pump so they would finish it in the morning. So tomorrow I should be drivin my jeep! I'm excited. Thanks for the help
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #26
tcanthonyii

Picked it up today. Runs pretty good. The old fuel I think is making run not as good as it should and seems a bit low on power. The more I drive it though the better it's getting. I threw some lucas in the tank to help clean up the injectors etc. I'm gonna let it get down to about a quarter or a little less than fill it all the way up with fresh gas. I suspect it should run a little better and get better fuel mileage then as well.

The radiator has a leak in it. In the upper corner by the battery. I put some stop leak in. Doubt it will do anything but it's worth a shot. I'm hoping to find a good used one.

Had to put a new head light in. I also charged the AC back up. The PO did tell me it leaks some and has to be re-charged every season. It seems to work pretty good. There's a bad squeal when you first start the AC up. NOt sure if I have a bad tensioner or pulley. I"m leaning more towards an idler pulley or tension pulley as it looks as though the belt is slipping and a friend pointed out that the one pulley looked as if something was sliding over it.

Put in my JVC radio. Need to figure out how to get the antenna to go up. Only the front 2 speakers are working. The front door speakers are not and the rear door speakers are not either. It looks as if someone hacked up the wire harness and re-spliced everything under the rear seat at the amp. I need to trace everything to make sure it's all hooked up etc. I know the drivers rear door is missing a speaker.

Needs to get vacuumed out.

Driving it, it pulls slightly to the left. There sounds like possibly a grinding noise from the rear end driving. Not sure how to describe. Maybe it's normal rear end noise? I've never been in a ZJ before so I have no idea.

Thanks again all for the help. Still can't believe the people gave the jeep up literally b/c they were too lazy to take it back when they new it wasn't running right, right after putting int he fuel pump. Worked out for me!

T.C.
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #27
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

The words "grinding noise" strike fear in hearts of Jeep owners everywhere.

Question: Do you hear it mainly while accelerating? If so, possible pinion bearing failure.

Also Check the rear brake shoes....( and the pads...it has both).

Unread 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
tcanthonyii

Well I listened to it on my way in today. I think it's actually just road noise. Grinding was a bad description of it.

She did run a lot better this morning. Had a lot more get up and go than yesterday.
Unread 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Be certain it isnt a bearing you're hearing. It's better to replace it now, than have it tear something up later. ( I'm anal about hearing new sounds emitting from my old ZJ....it's never good news)

Unread 08-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
lakotaed
1994 ZJ 

The grinding noise I am familiar with sounds like the noise tires make inside a parking garage as you round the tight corners. It is the rear end differential slipping. You need to get the additive from the dealer, it is under $20 and I only used half of it (small bottle). I had to remove a little gear oil first, but I think it would have been easier to park with the front end pointing down the grade of the parking spot rather than up. The noise went away immediately. I noticed that it was more prominent after cruising for a while in the heat, then I could hear it even on sweeping turns, but usually it is just when I turn sharp. No jacks, just a large flat screwdriver to pry off my stopper and I have a "sucker" thingy that extracts fluids. Try it!
lakotaed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.