Running Very poorly 94 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running Very poorly 94 Cherokee

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
tcanthonyii

Running Very poorly 94 Cherokee

Ok guys. Got a 94 Grand Cherokee Limited (Loaded) for free. but runs horrible.

137k miles on a 4.0. When first started up until it warms all the way up it spits and sputters until you get over 2k rpms. If you put your foot all the way to the floor it just coughs, spits and sputters. You can ease the pedal and it runs fine. Once warmed up it starts sucking air through the intake like crazy. LIke it's going to take off to outer space. If you give it any foot feed at all it wants to die and will die. The car will not rev at all. I dropped the catalytic, that's not the problem. I put in new plugs, wires, rotor and cap as they were in horrible shape.

Any ideas guys? I"d like to drive the thing but am at a total loss right now.

T.C.

tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
tcanthonyii

Forgot to mention the body is in really decent shape, has complete service records for the past 8 years. New tires, battery, alternator, brakes etc.

T.C.
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
tcanthonyii

Ok. I did some research on the net and found that several people had the problem unplugged the front 02 sensor and it cleared up. No such luck for me.

I did put a fuel pressure gauge on and it showed 0 psi. If that was really the case how does the thing start up and rev up to the rev limiter? Doesn't seem possible.....

Any Ideas guys? I really like to fish. But I like to catch stuff too!

Thanks again for any help guys

T.C.
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Brewskiskeeter
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This one will be interesting. I wish I could give you some advice. Maybe a TPS? Throttle position sensor. I'm not a pro though.
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Could litterally be a million things. Do you have a history on the vehicle? Try to work it down by process of elimination. Start with mechanical, then sensors/ connections, any manifold leaks, any codes, then air, fuel, electrical, then finally logical (PCM). Good luck.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
tcanthonyii

Thanks for the great encouragement guys! I borrowed a friends manual. It just so happens he has 3 Cherokees and a late model grand Cherokee. He even offered to let me steal some sensors off of one of his beaters just so I can do some testing. I have to put them back on obviously. I"m going to go down later when it's not so damn hot and see what I can come up with testing a couple of the sensors. TPS being one of them.

T.c.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
tcanthonyii

OK. Tested the TPS. goes from .7 to 3.69 so I think that's ok. Still don't think I"m getting any fuel pressure. Not sure if it's my gauge or what. The gauge work on my pickup but not on the jeep. I get maybe a lb of pressure or 2 on the gauge then it goes back to almost 0. If I rev it up the needle appears to go down. May just rent one from O'reily's. Not sure what to do. Either that or run out to the other jeep my friend has and put my gauge on it to see if my gauge is any good at all.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

When you turn the key to the "on" position.....before you try to start it, can you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two? It should.

Hook up the pressure tester, turn the key on, then off....and read it. If your are hooked up correctly and the gauge is working, then your fuel pump is not energizing. If not...check the fuel pump relay in the fuse box that's located under the hood. Swap it with the horn relay ( assuming the horn works) and try again.

If it still doesnt work, check the wiring to the pump. If Ok...it's the fuel pump. Mine is in the tank on my 97....not sure about yours.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Keep chasing the fuel pressure. They only need a smidge of fuel to rev in neutral without load.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
tcanthonyii

Oh forgot to mention when reving it by hand it sounds likes something backfiring or popping through the intake. The whole hose and air box shakes.
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
tcanthonyii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Keep chasing the fuel pressure. They only need a smidge of fuel to rev in neutral without load.
Good to know. Didn't even think it would start.
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
tcanthonyii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
When you turn the key to the "on" position.....before you try to start it, can you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two? It should.

Hook up the pressure tester, turn the key on, then off....and read it. If your are hooked up correctly and the gauge is working, then your fuel pump is not energizing. If not...check the fuel pump relay in the fuse box that's located under the hood. Swap it with the horn relay ( assuming the horn works) and try again.

If it still doesnt work, check the wiring to the pump. If Ok...it's the fuel pump. Mine is in the tank on my 97....not sure about yours.
Pump energizes. I can hear it and I did pull off the fuel line from the rail and it does pump. With the gauge on from cycling the key I get 1 to 2 psi on the gauge then it falls to 0. That's only sometimes. Other times it doesn't move the needle.

When reving it you can faintly see the needle at like 1 to 1/2 psi and then fall when reving the engine.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
tcanthonyii

Well tested my tester on another jeep today. I got no pressure. New filter and it now runs almost worse. Any other reason why I'd have very very little pressure other than a bad pump?

Thanks guys

T.C.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Tested your fuel pressure gauge on another jeep and got no reading? Or the other Jeep tested fine, but you have no pressure on yours? If you are sure the pump is energizing, because it's squirting fuel, then could you have an injector stuck wide open, maybe? I cant think of only 3 reasons why you'd have no fuel pressure at the rail:
1. Pump is toast
2. Fuel leak in the line
3. An Injector stuck wide open )and I'm not sure that would even bleed it all down that fast.)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Verify you've got voltage at the pump, and verify none of the fuel lines are smashed flat. That's about all the troubleshooting that's left.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.